SD 300 MB

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1985 SD 300. Bought if from an older man that ran off the road. This caulsed his children to make him to sell the car. So far I have fixed the oil pan and front end from the running off the road incident. Planning on putting it on the road later in the year. Also plan on burning WVO in it once it is set up. Have plenty of oil now but need the time to get it working.
What do you have?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the car...given that you're in MD, I assume it's a federal emissions car and not a California emissions car, which is really good news (CA '85 cars had a trap oxidizer that tends to ruin turbos). You should have a 2.88 instead of a 3.07 differential, so you'll have a slightly lower highway cruising RPM and corresponding fuel economy improvements. There are some other differences for '85, including the transmission, the tachometer setup and some of the vacuum stuff.

I guess the real question is, what do you want or need to know? :) How bad was the accident? How many miles are on the car? Other than accident damage, what condition's the front suspension in?

Last edited:

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
I have an 82 300SD. Got it 2 months ago, mainly because of the mpg. It's twice what my pickup gets.

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I thought this was a dead end forum. Its great that there are fans out there. The car has 344k on it. The front end damage was limited to a punched oil pan (replaced) and a bent bumper. The front was moved about an inch to the side. I got it pulled back where it is should be. Couple minor suspension parts needed replaced. The motor mount was also damaged (replaced). Now the car is in a barn waiting for me to Maryland inspect and tag it. Currently I am driving a 91 jeep cherokee that has 225k on it (orginal owner). The MB is the replacement when the jeep dies. I want to convert it to burn wvo because i have a source that will give me all that I would need to burn. Any of you burning alternate fuels?

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Not dead, just slow.
I run about a gallon of ATF to a tankful. New, not used. I get the bottles at work as partials that nobody wants to finish.
Bought the car in April for $400, and so far only bought tires and a tie rod end.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I burn just about anything that will fit down the fill hole in mine. WVO mostly, but it likes tractor hydraulic fluid and ATF as well,

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
Howdy All, My Benz has 155K miles, and been a great addition to my Diesel fleet. So far have run petrol diesel, biodiesel, WMO, WVO, Tractor Hyd. Oil (AW 32). All without any performance or mileage differences.

My mechanic, whom I've convinced him to get a Benz too, has a 240D that he runs pretty much only Used Motor Oil (wonder where he gets that from), and has done so for several months now. I have to admit, it just purrs even on cold start up on the motor oil. Smokes like a son of a gun, but it runs.

royzell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC correctly, I've had 4 MB diesel drivers, all but one turbo's, and countless parts cars. (3 gassers in the mix too).
Currently we have an '84 300SD. The interior is 3 different colors, but all leather and clean. It's my wife's daily driver, about 400K kms on it. It originated in Texas, wound up on Salt Spring Island in BC running home-made bio-diesel for a few years. We have been running it on regular diesel and occasional ATF since we got it. I've been replacing some body panels and interior, etc from a 300 SEL that wound up here from Georgia with no papers. I just put a new (bigger - straighter) exhaust on which helped a lot (cut out and bypass those stupid resonators under the back seat area). New intake is next. It just keeps going !