Screw ford and the Superduty and the 6.0!!!

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about swapping my 04 for an 06 with all of the issues my 04 has experienced. I hope I'm not just starting the whole process over. These Ford Trucks are really sharpe looking it's just my engine hasn't done well.;Sweet

i think the 04s are the best 6.0 year i would stick with what you have

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
imo, also alot of the 6.0 problems stem from the large amount of techs who do not know how to fix these things. it keeps customers trucks down for more amount of time then they should be, and will also not properly fix them

depending on parts one of the most involved jobs...doing headgaskets will take me and the tech i work with about a day and a half. thats working on it non stop but iv had people say that other places will tell them weeks...its ridiculous, and makes me frustrated with the idiots working on these things out there

all that aside there are some very good techs fixing these things also

mjstef

Big Sky Country....
Reaction score
Just for the record, Since i cleaned my EGR valve and re-installed it i have disconnected it. I have put on about 1000 miles and have not used a drop of anti-freeze.:***:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
doing headgaskets will take me and the tech i work with about a day and a half. thats working on it non stop but iv had people say that other places will tell them weeks...its ridiculous, and makes me frustrated with the idiots working on these things out there

WEEKS!!!!!-Lame I'm all crippled up and can do it faster than that with no formal training.:rtfm

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WEEKS!!!!!-Lame I'm all crippled up and can do it faster than that with no formal training.:rtfm

all that aside, the 6.0 is a different beast then pulling heads off a gas motor, or even a 7.3, alot of items come off. if im working like ive been doing speed and coke all week i can get everything off of the truck to the point of being ready to take the heads off in about 3 hours, so in theory. the only other thing is that, stuff breaks on trucks from time to time threw the job, and occasionally our parts department will have a waiting time for parts witch will put the job at a stop. but from the time the truck comes into the shop to the time the headgaskets get replaced has never been more then a week, its usually a 4 day period if we have to wait on parts, its usually 2 days if we have all parts in stock and there isnt other trucks ahead of the HG job

but yes a large amount of dealers have been informing there customers of 6.0 turn around times that are longer then i would expect knowing what amount of time a repair will take

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a side not, im on day 2 with a set of headgaskets im doing, among other things...the time i said before was with 2 quick techs tag teaming the head gasket job

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a side not, im on day 2 with a set of headgaskets im doing, among other things...the time i said before was with 2 quick techs tag teaming the head gasket job

Curious if you're doing a "Cab Off" repair or does your shop frown on it. Much less invasive, faster and easier to do cab off repairs on major work if you have the space and equipment to do it. Looks crazy when you do it and everybody will gawk at it the first time you do one.:eek:

Trucks are put together like that on the assembly line, all you are doing is reversing the process and then duplicating it when done.

Yanking the cab & entire front clip off in one piece is actually pretty easy if you have a lift and can be done in a few hours.
  • remove Frame mounting bolts
  • disconnect the Wire harness
  • Disconnect a few hoses
  • Disconnect linkages
  • raise cab and front clip with the lift watching for any thing you might have missed.
  • Now you can work on the engine from the best possible position short of having it on an engine stand.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Doesn't matter what brand of ball joint, not enough servicing is the problem....I grease th cheapo balljoints in my 96 once a month, that last set I put in my 88 are 4 years old and still tight and they were $25cdn/piece white box junk.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cab off is to invasive, we do them in the truck, sure it takes longer, but it disturbs less stuff, so less chance of an error to occur, plus it doesnt save as much time to warrent doing it, once uve done them a few times in a truck, its a sinch after that

this guy had an 05, i wasnt going to pull the cab off, hes a frequent customer and is EXTREAMLY particular about his 05, its his nice vehicle, he has a few other beat around farm vehicles he lets get dirty, but this truck was/is an on road hauling beauty

took me just around 4 days start to finish to do the whole job witch consisted of

turbo
egr cooler
egr valve
oil cooler
head gaskets

and to top all that his rear engine cover was leaking so i also had to remove his transmission to do that and a rear main, looking back i probably should have just yanked the turbo off and pulled the motor

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
p.s. the cabs are easy the quickest i ever had one off was 30 minutes, pulling the front ends off these trucks, is also easy, but im not a fan of yanking up someones carpet, moving all that stuff around, everything doesnt seem to always line up as perfect as it comes off, blame plastic and its tendency to stretch and misalighn itself

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 days is quite acceptable for the amount of work you did, hate to see the bill though.....unless it was all warrenty.

I found cab off to be less invasive than tearing apart the front of a vehicle when necessary but it's been many, many years since I've done one like that and will prolly be dead before I ever do it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online