SAE #3 adapter, flywheel/flexplate questions

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I'm not much on medium duty automatics. I've pulled apart and fixed a few handshakers, but never an automatic.

Does anyone here have pictures of what the flywheel/flexplate adapter for an IDI to auto looks like?

I can find the housing adapter on Ebay, but not really seeing anything for the flexplate and how it bolts up to the torque converter.

Also if anyone knows where I can source all the SAE parts from if I decide to go ahead with my idea... ??

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you wanting pictures of? I've got a school bus with the idi/allison in it. Are you wanting pictures of the flywheel housing adapter or pictures of the torque converter spacer?

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Thanks.

I know what the adapter looks like.

I don't know what the flywheel/flexplate or torque converter adapter look like. Is there a spacer in between the flywheel and converter plate??

Ideally I would like to find someone selling everything together right down to the stock bolts.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one I have the ring gear is bolted to the torque converter and it sticks out of the transmission. I can't recall how the converter attached to the flywheel! Lol
I still have all the parts from a t444e I can get some pics this weekend.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, sorry for the delay in getting this.

On my bus, from the crankshaft back, there is what looks like a flywheel first, then a spacer that is like 4" wide x 2" thick, then an 3/16" sheet metal "flex plate" then the torque converter. The bolts that screw into the crank must be like 3-4 inches long because they pass all the way through the flex plate, spacer, and flywheel.

The flywheel is odd though becuase it has 2" holes scalloped out of it every 45 degrees or so on the face, so I don't think you could mount a clutch to it, so it must be simply for balance purposes/holding the starter ring gear.

I'm not sure if the center spacer is solid in the center or not, but it is machined and I imagine it indexes off the pilot hole in the crankshaft and aligns the center nub on the torque converter.

The flexplate isn't anything special, just stamped plate steel.

Here is the best picture I could get for you, the trans is to the left, engine to the right.
You must be registered for see images attach

Hope this helps.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
That helps! Thank you so much for doing that. You rock!

I've seen that spacer for sale and figured that there was more to it than a regular Ford flex plate. Now I kinda know what to look for. Hopefully I can find a complete setup from a salvage yard.

Again, big thanks. That is a great picture. Worth a thousand words.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good eye! That would make sense because they are inline with the torque converter bolts. I'd assume it's just a standard single mass flywheel with the holes drilled into then.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is kinda how a c6 flex plate is. A heavy “flywheel” with holes and a thin flex plate that bolts directly against it. You reach through the holes to unbolt the converter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online