Running hot and losing 1/2 gallon of oil per tank of fuel

Amy hubbard

Reaction score
@ gandalf. I have put the 385,000 miles on and so I suppose learning about my truck is on going, however finding the idi tech articles and oilburners.net a couple years ago has saved me a few broken knuckles, several tools, my sanity, my pocket change and probably my truck itself! This is the 1st time with a timing issue. Ive read and read, i dont recall anything on the extreme heat radiating from my engine bay into my cab. And the heat keeps radiating long after I turn her off. I borrowed an diesel adapter and now I am studying " how the timing light works.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Black dawg

Reaction score
I would disconnect that hose up where it goes into the air box, and run the engine. There should be good flow out of it. Your set up looks all stock, I have seen that hose pinched underneath the airbox, and I have seen a cdr valve that was stuck shut.....

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you got that kind of blowby you either got stuck / broken rings or a cracked pistons these motors cannot take the fuel / heat like a direct injected diesel our motors run super high compression and our pistons are cast pistons without a steal top so they swell in the bore when get hot and pinch the rings in the ring groove on piston often cracking or busting the rings our motors you have to watch EGT's carefully and back out when it gets over 1000f you can push the EGT's short burst to around 1150fish in a pinch but not often or it will cause our piston tops to crack and also crack our flame cups in our heads.

I have been running these motors for a very long time and sacrificed many of my motors finding the limits and found where they are happy at EGT's /oil & coolant temps are our number 1 killer of our motors people dont realize in our motors the oil does a ton of the cooling via piston squirters squirting oil directly on bottom of pistons cooling the piston crown making oil temps go thru the roof when turned up and under hard load with pistons peaking over 1000 degrees F and this leads into excess oil evaportating and being sucked down intake causing the rings to get stuck and sooty in the ring grooves oil temps are often 30f-40f+ above the coolant temps so imagine coolant at say 225f oil would be 255f-265f+ I have seen our motors oil temps spike over 275f in a relatively mild engine dialed in with overkill cooling but under just right amount of load.

Last edited:

Amy hubbard

Reaction score
Is it possible that oil is getting past the internals on the turbo and basically blowing that oil out back into the air cleaner and out the exhaust? Regardless, setting timing first is worth the effort. I am doing the compression test tomorrow- i will report. Thanks for verbalizing the brutal truth.

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that oil is getting past the internals on the turbo and basically blowing that oil out back into the air cleaner and out the exhaust? Regardless, setting timing first is worth the effort. I am doing the compression test tomorrow- i will report. Thanks for verbalizing the brutal truth.

the blowby is why i say not likely turbo a turbo wont make blowby unless you have a leak in the system aka rings or piston is only way it would cause blowby or a blown intake gasket blowing boost directly into crank case but these motors dont make boost idling so only place blowby can come from is ring / piston in your case surely your not under load with throttle pegged and you under hood checking for blowby lol if you were doing that thats crazy would be like letting your buddy tow a trailer up a hill under load / throttle and you under hood checking for blowby lol.

Black dawg

Reaction score
The turbo can let oil through it, but it is pretty rare to actually happen. If the drain is restricted, even a healthy turbo will let oil into the intake and exhaust, or if there is soo much blowby that oil doesnt want to go down the drain. An engine that has that much blowby, wont start easily or idle smoothly.......

And when you do check the blowby, these engines have lots, even when pretty healthy.

Amy hubbard

Reaction score
Just a little update, the extreme heat was caused from my own vanity errors :( In the process of elimination I realized I have (had) a light bar mounted on the top of my custom bumper. So the bumper without vents + light bar + filthy radiators= 1 smokin hot truck. Literally! My guage (even if ya'all think the factory temp guage is useless) has been running about 8/10ths up and now its back to its norm of 1/8th up the guage! Air flow has been restored.

Amy hubbard

Reaction score
I got a compression guage, however I do not have an adapter to thread it into my gp inlets. I am going to see about just building what I need. Shouldn't be too difficult....