Running boards

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to post this so redirect me if I posted on the wrong forum.

I want to shyne the running boards and some other stuff on my truck, all aluminum . I used abro on them but it does not shyne as I'd like. Any other way to make them come back to life? chromo paint? clear coat? anything?

Thank you, Exekiel.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
cmon guys somebody has to know, and no buy new ones is not how I want to fix this problem.

administrator- move this post to where it belongs if I'm on the wrong forum for this question, please.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
EZ your going to need some polishing compound and a good buffer to get alumium to shine. I bought a buffing set at Sears that goes on a bench grinder it has cotton wheels and 3 differant compunds that you use to polish the metal. You could get some pads that work on a hand buffer and and do it on the truck. Polishing alumium is a dirty job.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yes it is dirty, I used the paste and some steelwall from home cheapo. It looks better but I'd like them to really shyne.

Will go and check sears, Thank you.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
google "eastwood company". the have all sorts of resto stuff. I personally am too lazy to do anything close to shinning aluminum, let alone chrome. That's a job for my daughter. Ice cream is a cheap reward :D :rotflmao
there's all shape and size buffing wheels that they sell along with different grit compound bars.

rray32539

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steel wool and aluminum definitely do NOT mix! Not unless you want to see rust stains later on. A good polishing compound and time working it will shine it back up. Then wax to protect the shine.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
the rain had not let me do anything on them yet but I'll check the eastwood company. Thank you.

TapsMan

smog monster
Reaction score
Exekiel, Your running boards are probably clear coated already. That clear coat fades in the sun and will have to be stripped off before you can polish the aluminum.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well I tried a few products but it seems like they will look ok but I'm starting to like the fiberglass runing boards I've seen in some ford and dodge trucks, I wonder if I can get them for an older model like mine 93 f350 cc dually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online