rubberm hose from tank to lift pump okay?

slideordie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been plague with fuel leaking from my rear tank and the FSV glitching up and only sending the return to the rear tank so i was curious if i could run rubber hose straight from the front tank to the lift pump. then from the returns to the return on the front tank with rubber hose. is this okay to do? is the diesel going to eat at the fuel hose? would the rubber hose collapse?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good genuine DIESEL RATED hose will last for years.

Plain old fuel hose will last a long time.

The best is good hi-grade hydraulic hose as it is much thicker, therefore less subject to abrasion damages and kinks.

Metal line sounds good in the saying of it; BUT, in the real world, with road salt coating everything and constant vibrations, metal will deteriorate and crack at any fittings.

Also, metal will wear through anywhere it contacts anything else for any length of time.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used some run-of-the-mill automotive 3/8" line, and noticed that while the engine was idling, if I bent it too sharp a corner, it would collapse and pinch off the fuel supply.

So I replaced it with marine 3/8" line. The wall thickness was almost as large as the inside diamater. For only $1/ft, it was worth it. It would take a vice to crush that stuff.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it was 3/8"? Maybe 5/16"... whatever the stock line was, anyway.

slideordie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where can i get this better fuel hose? theres no place that i know of around here in less someone near cincinnati knows? i was just going to use standard fuel hose till later down the road and i get a bigger tank for the truck

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory size lines :

Draw line = 3/8

Return = 5/16

If you have a power-house engine, step up to 1/2 on both lines; otherwise, the factory size will carry more fuel than you can pay for.

In your situation, if both of your tanks are still good, you can install two MANUAL tank-selector valves, one for DRAW and one for RETURN.

Put your gauge wires on a DPDT switch.

Throw that electric fuel valve as far as you can send it.

With this set-up, you can still use both tanks.

My truck has had a similar set-up for years (except I have THREE tanks).

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
where can i get this better fuel hose? theres no place that i know of around here in less someone near cincinnati knows? i was just going to use standard fuel hose till later down the road and i get a bigger tank for the truck

If you have a big city nearby, look in the yellow pages under hose. You should be able to locate a commercial hose shop that will have all the good stuff. Boat shops and speed shops as well as big truck dealers generally have the good stuff.
Or you can get viton hose here

-----Robert

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 of my 3 trucks are done with rubber now. No problems. Just got fuel rated hose, and didn't kink it anywhere.

slideordie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for everyones posts. im going to buy the rubber fuel hose tonight and probably install it. unfortunately the low tonight is supposed to be 27 :dunno