RSK questions

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok guys I don't want to RSK but should I do it anyway? If I was to do it I'd be using stock OBS springs and this kit https://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/products/ford-fsrob-002

I don't want to add any height, and I already have new shocks for stock height. However, I haven't found the brackets I'm missing yet and I need to buy shackles anyway...

I don't want a leveled truck. I plan on using it for a truck so I'd have to get an even taller block for the rear, adding even more cost.

Does it make a huge difference with OBS springs? I know IDIoit keeps trying to get me to RSK haha.

It's a big chunk of added cost so it'll push my build out even further unless work actually picks up.

Thoughts?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I push making it yourself.
some box tubing,
some 1/4 plate
and a bushing mount!
total cost, 140$

You must be registered for see images attach

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's always easier to spend other people's money, but I will say that every truck I've ridden in with an RSK rode better than stock. I would also say that the report on the newer SuperDuty springs is that they make an RSK kit ride even better.

If you don't care about the ride, don't do it. If you are going to keep your rig for a long time, I'd upgrade the front suspension as much as you can afford.

Again, other people's money is easy to spend, but I'm with Brian on this one: do the RSK! :D

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't want a leveled truck. I plan on using it for a truck so I'd have to get an even taller block for the rear, adding even more cost.
I completely agree with this. I don't even like the look of a leveled truck. Both of mine have to earn their keep so that means that they work when I want them to. Look at my profile picture for proof. Chillman, I assume that this is about Tank. From my experience, crew cabs don't ride that bad anyway. Sure, it will probably ride a little rougher being converted to 4X4, but it's not like it will be a regular cab. My feeling is that if I want a Cadillac ride, I'll buy one or at least buy a (WAAAY overpriced) newer truck. Just my .02. Do with it what you please.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chillman, I assume that this is about Tank. From my experience, crew cabs don't ride that bad anyway.

That is correct. Mine rides like crap now anyway but it's running on 30 year old leaf bushings in the rear and has the cheapest shocks I could buy because they had to be better than the ones that were on it. I'm pretty sure the trip to Texas gave those shocks a real beating, some of the roadwork on I-30 was HORRIBLE (I actually lost a spare tire from the bumps).

My feeling is that if I want a Cadillac ride, I'll buy one or at least buy a (WAAAY overpriced) newer truck. Just my .02. Do with it what you please.

That's more or less the same thing I say all the time, if I wanted a Cadillac, I'd buy one. lol!

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
There is a way to run Super Duty front springs and get the ride without raising it above F350 stock height. It was posted on Pirate 4x4. Especially applicable to a 4x2 conversion since it involves welding bushing tubes through the frame in the front and you already have to mod this anyway.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My version of a leveling kit. The gas can is underneath the truck to keep rain water out of the not-very-sealed vent.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a way to run Super Duty front springs and get the ride without raising it above F350 stock height. It was posted on Pirate 4x4. Especially applicable to a 4x2 conversion since it involves welding bushing tubes through the frame in the front and you already have to mod this anyway.

I think I found it. The problem with that approach is that the 87-91 frames are shorter and I don't think there is enough room for a hole 3" further forward. Plus I have a stock 4x4 frame I'm working with for the conversion.

robert alston

Reaction score
ok why would the frame be shorter
just curious i am still trying to build my f-super duty crew cab

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The frames on the 92+ are a couple inches longer, not sure if it's because of the crumple zone on the newer trucks or what.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best bet if you don’t want the height is to sweet talk someone out west into sending you those bits. I ended up using the ones off my parts truck or I’d hook you up. I personally have been scheming ways to loose some height on mine. It looks good but I’m too fat and old to jump in like I once did.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best bet if you don’t want the height is to sweet talk someone out west into sending you those bits.

I've been trying but nobody holds on to them out there! Wes didn't have any and Brian didn't either. I'm thinking I'll have to draw them up and get them made at work. I'll have to buy the shackles first so I know the depth.

I ended up using the ones off my parts truck or I’d hook you up

I appreciate the thought!

I personally have been scheming ways to loose some height on mine. It looks good but I’m too fat and old to jump in like I once did

Well I'm younger than you, but I'm pretty sure I have a few extra pounds on you LOL The wife doesn't want to need a step ladder either so I'm trying to make her happy as well.

Besides, climbing into the bed it's high enough now as 2wd LOL

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Besides, climbing into the bed it's high enough now as 2wd
On this subject, I can't see any real purpose to new trucks being made higher and higher. My F250 is plenty tall enough for me as it is. It's not even close to the height of newer trucks. It's hard to put stuff in the bed of a newer truck. I guess that's why Ford came out with their tailgate step. I would also guess that this trend is mostly because it "looks good".

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, the newer trucks are getting taller and taller. My 4x4 Excursion, and my 2wd F-150 are almost the same floor height. But, my 11 2wd and Dad's 16 4x4 is very close to the same height

It's been many years, but I think our 83 F-150 4x4, with the tailgate down hit me at the top of the thigh. my 11 hits just below my belly button. Another thing that has changed over the years is the box depth. The box on my 11 is much taller than the bed on our 83. I think the height increase started in the 04 F-150 with the body change. The biggest way I can tell the box is taller, is when the tailgate is down, it's difficult to reach must past a foot or so into the bed. I have a board in the pocket behind the rear wheel. If I want to touch that board, I have to lay down on the tailgate and stretch my are all the way out. I'm 6'4" with long arms........ not sure why they are making them taller.

Between my 88 IDI Dually and the 11 F-150, there is a noticeable difference in seat height from the ground. The IDI was lower.