RPM Range 366

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
What's the RPM range for a 366 gasser? More specifically, what's the best "cruising" RPM to aim for? 2,000 3,000 4,000?

I been googling like mad but the one website I found that I thought had the answer lost my faith when the last line of the page said, "The 366 is still in use today in such trucks as the Chevy 2500." If they don't know the old 366 big block and the newer LS based small block 6.0L were two completely different animals, I can't trust their info.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, the best cruising rpm for a 366 is like any other big block, the slower the better. I'd aim for probably in the 1500-2000 range. Those engines don't like revving fast, and when they do, they burn a LOT of fuel and it increases wear and tear on the engine. The only real problem with those 366 engines is their lack of parts interchangeability, there are almost no part that will swap with another mark4 big block engine. So, consequently, when things break, it's COSTLY, often more costly than swapping in something like a 427.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, off topic, those Grand Marquis are some nice rides, the back seat area was a little short on leg-room, but since the platform was also used for the Crown Vic cop cars, you'd not want the criminals to be too comfortable. :rotflmao