Rough idle

Adrenaline73

Reaction score
I have a 1997 and it’s running rough almost seems like a miss fire has a little smoke when idling it goes away when you start driving it with no smoke icp changed and cps changed they did a buzz test on the injectors and said they where good. No codes so I’m kinda confused on what to look for now.

slyhog022056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have had the same problem for over a year. a suggestion was made by another member to check walve cover gasket wiring and harness going to injectors and glow plugs.

Adrenaline73

Reaction score
i have had the same problem for over a year. a suggestion was made by another member to check walve cover gasket wiring and harness going to injectors and glow plugs.

I looked it over everything seemed good I moved it around with it running didn’t seem to change anything. But I’ll look it over.

slyhog022056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the valve cover gasket has 2 plugs on it. the outer harness plugs into the gasket and it passes thru to the harness underneath the valve cover.
quote from member Greenskeeper;
You can pull the valve covers and confirm that all injectors are flowing the same amount of oil from the oil spouts. If one injector has no oil or less than the others that would be the source of the miss. Oil should only be coming from the spouts and not on top where the solenoid is. armature clearance could also be an issue....does the miss go away when the engine warms up?

Adrenaline73

Reaction score
the valve cover gasket has 2 plugs on it. the outer harness plugs into the gasket and it passes thru to the harness underneath the valve cover.
quote from member Greenskeeper;
You can pull the valve covers and confirm that all injectors are flowing the same amount of oil from the oil spouts. If one injector has no oil or less than the others that would be the source of the miss. Oil should only be coming from the spouts and not on top where the solenoid is. armature clearance could also be an issue....does the miss go away when the engine warms up?

nope the miss stays until about 1000 rpm then goes away and has no smoke. But at idle it smoke a whiteish blue color but get less when the truck warms up to almost nothing.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maby it's just how yours runs IV had several 7.3 s and they all had a slight haze until they had warmed up also IV replaced many injectors that buzz tested just fine see if you can do a cylinder contribution test

Adrenaline73

Reaction score
Maby it's just how yours runs IV had several 7.3 s and they all had a slight haze until they had warmed up also IV replaced many injectors that buzz tested just fine see if you can do a cylinder contribution test[/QUOTE

so now it’s doing a long hard start and running rough it put a code for icp sensor but unplugged it doesn’t change it’s almost like it’s not holding oil in the system. Definitely will get around to the cylinder contribution test.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is your fuel pressure at idle? Has the regulator ever been rebuilt? Has the screen at the fuel bowl been cleaned?

pull both valve covers

with the engine running, all 8 injectors should be flowing the same amount of oil out of the spouts. No or little oil means an injector is not firing or has issues.

you can also unplug each injector at a time and see if the idle changes. no change after disconnecting an injector would indicate a problem with that injector.

Adrenaline73

Reaction score
what is your fuel pressure at idle? Has the regulator ever been rebuilt? Has the screen at the fuel bowl been cleaned?

pull both valve covers

with the engine running, all 8 injectors should be flowing the same amount of oil out of the spouts. No or little oil means an injector is not firing or has issues.

you can also unplug each injector at a time and see if the idle changes. no change after disconnecting an injector would indicate a problem with that injector.

Fuel pressure at idle is 60 psi and no on fuel regulator and never cleaned the screen checked the injectors everyone has good oil coming out and when disconnected they 1 didn’t change the idle so we replaced it and it doesn’t have the miss but still idles ruff and still has the long start