Roto-master turbos?

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a used turbo off of a 6.9 that was in a light cab fire. The turbo supposedly still spins free with no end play, so I'm thinking the thing is salvagable. I asked the guy the brand name and he didn't know, but he said the turbo says "rotomaster" on it. I'm wondering if anyone knows what kit would have come with this turbo, and if I can still get parts for a rebuild on it.

Thanks,
mR

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think its an early banks. But dont quote me on it. And i know banks stuff is getting harder to get and their customer support isnt the most helpful.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Rotomaster on mine (old banks) and as far as I know there is no problem w/rebuild parts.

Dennis

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Good turbos. They are just old banks kits, use the same rebuild kits too IIRC.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These guys are right, very similar to the Banks kit. There was a guy on the other site that used one and had pretty good success with it, I don't think he ever made the jump over here.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can get you anything you need for it, the turbine wheel has to be modded if it goes bad but the proper size one is available. Some have a carbon seal that needs to be updated to a dynamic

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its one of the early non wastegated banks. should be a t04b turbo with t3 flange. mine is a 1.o hotside and .60 cold. dont bother calling banks with questions/repair parts, i got no where (needed a compressor wheel and housing), just finally bought a new turbo and modified the banks ypipe. my engine had a small compartment fire and the turbo was fine. if i ever have the turbo rebuilt i will send it to typ4 to do it.

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got one on the van..had to be rebuilt when the carbon seal went bad and leaked engine oil into the intake...cost me $300 from shide diesel in Tarra haute In...they put and updated style oiler and intake snail on her...even fixed some stuff I boogered...

those guys did me right...thats who I'd send it to if it needs work..otherwise get it and run it!!!

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, didn't know you were here too Mudbilly. If I hadn't bought another truck, I'd be on this. I'd go ahead and get it, but then I'd have to sleep in my new crew cab.

mR

ffighterdaddy

Reaction score
I can get you anything you need for it, the turbine wheel has to be modded if it goes bad but the proper size one is available. Some have a carbon seal that needs to be updated to a dynamic

I have a 1985 CHEVY K30 CCLBDRW w/6.2 and ATS turbo/rotomaster AR/60...dumping oil. You said you can get rebuild parts? OMG! I need you to contact me...ASAP. PLEASE.