Road draft tube - what problems solved?

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
Hi all:
This goes out to those who have installed one of these. What specific problems has the installation of this tube solved? I'm considering it and am curious to know what it has done for your engine that simply replacing the cd valve won't do. I've done searches but they seem to end with the installation and not if their problems were solved. Your input would be appreciated.
Ken

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
there are several threads about this as well as a section about it in the IDI FAQ's, and if you search for them u prolly will find all info you need :).

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
Here is the big question. Can a stuck cdr increase crankcase pressure to the point of pushing oil out at gaskets and seals?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say a stuck CDR would probably cause some real bad issues, but a RDT won't fix this any better than a new CDR. The people that use a RDT tend to live in areas where the environmental quality nazis are not as strong, and they are alleged to improve the engines idle, becuase it is ingesting only clean air, not its own oily fumes. There is also the possible issue of the two rear cylinders running at higher EGT because they get more of the blowby gases from the CDR(more fuel) than the others. What it probably will not do is improve severe oil consumption issues, but when the oil is being pushed out at the seals rather than burned or "vanishing," this may be a case where it is indeed the CDR or an overfilling of the crankcase that is the cause of the problem,
J.D.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lucky said:
Hi all:
I'm considering it and am curious to know what it has done for your engine that simply replacing the cd valve won't do. I've done searches but they seem to end with the installation and not if their problems were solved.
Ken

Well, I can address this, as I have done both(RDT and playing around with CDR).

First I'll point out that the "purpose" of the CDR is to route crankcase vapours(which are combustion gasses getting past the rings/and/or oil vapours) into the intake to be reburned, and to regulate crankcase pressures. Other than the fact that it is a tin can, and a small quantity of oil does condense internally and drip back down into the valley, it actually has no bearing on oil consumption. Internally, there is only a spring, and a rubber diaphram. The spring holds it open, and vapours pass through it, and only in the event that somehow the intake got completely obstructed, the diaphram would allow it to close, and block the intake from sucking up the crankcase oil.

If you just want to redirect the oily blow-by out to the road instead of to the rear 2 cylinders, then go for the RDT. The design of the intake would be better if the blowby was simply directed down into the top of the intake so that it was spread evenly to all the cylinders. One of the things I tried was to fit a small tube to the CDR such that the blowby entered the center of the intake manifold to accomplish this. Seemed to work fine, but I dunno if it made any difference. The blowby going to the rear may not actually be the cause of the failure of the rear 2 cylinders at all, as evidenced by the fact that Ford continued to change the headgaskets at the ends to address the high failure rate in these areas...(who knows)

Oil consumption is the other thing. Many guys are under the impression that the CDR has some major function in controlling oil consumption, or that if it is dirty or somehow not functioning correctly, that oil consumption will be the result. Just not so. As I said, earlier, the thing has no function in any kind of control of oil consumption. Just the fact that a few drops of oil condense inside the thing gets everyone all jazzed up.

Oil consumption and blowby are symptoms of engine problems. Some related, some not. Since the blowby is being sucked into the intake via the CDR, it creates a negative pressure in the crankcase area. If that negative pressure is not there(CDR replaced with a RDT), then the combustion gasses leaking past the rings/valve guides etc, can cause positive pressure in the crankcase which tends to push oil past the seals and other places(valve cover gaskets oilpan, injection pump cover etc) and can cause massive oil leaks, that can be hard to fix. An obstructed CDR will usually make itself fairly quickly evident by sudden onset oil leaks around the engine. You can effectively remove the CDR entirely and you won't notice any difference in how the engine runs. Theory has it that if you somehow had an obstructed intake, though that the engine could somehow suck up it's own lubricating oil, and become runaway till it killed itself?!

One other thing I have tried (and currently am running) is a condenser of sorts in conjunction with the CDR inline. This is to try to preserve the negative pressure in the crank area, and somehow prevent some of the blow-by gasses from going into the intake(condense them out into a separate container). My engine has a lot of blowby. It also leaks oil. It is not long for this world. Without the condenser, it goes through around 1 quart of oil every 300 miles or so. The intake is a wet oily mess, and I can actually see the temp higher on the pyro when I've got my foot into it, and the smoke is a bluish grey. With the condenser inline, I've cut the oil consumption in half(nasty black sludgy oily crap collected in a jug at the bottom of the condenser)the intake is just dusted with oil, and the engine appears to run cooler, and the smoke is distinctly black.

So, on my engine, since it is worn out and has so much blow-by, the RDT only serves to allow the oil to dump to the ground, and there is a massive cloud of stinky messy oil smoke coming out from under the truck(people run up to tell me the truck's on fire..!!) It is not worth it. OTOH, I know that the amount of oil dumping into the intake can't be a good thing, especially in the last dying days this rig still runs...

So, you have to decide what your reasoning for the CDR or RDT is. If you are trying to prevent your rear 2 cylinders from running hotter than the rest, then maybe it is for you. If you are trying to address oil consumption issues that are actually a symptom of engine condition, then it won't make any difference at all, maybe make your problems worse.

..CDR drawing..
..CDR opened..

Hope that clears up the smoke for you a little...

Zigg

Last edited:

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
Thanks a heap gents for the replies.

My motor only has 50,000 miles on it and runs very clean and strong. Blowby is not an issue with this engine.

However, I still would like to know if a weak cdr spring could cause the diaphragm to be pulled shut - then could it increase crankcase pressure and cause minor oil leaks at seals and gaskets. Perhaps someone has had this experience and cured it with a RDT or a new CDR. Sure would like to know.

sassyrel

Reaction score
with the engine warm--and running--remove the oil fill cap--please be careful!!!!--how much vapor is coming out--look like a steam engine??? if not--as zigg said--dont worry about it--

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ZIG, Just for further info, aircraft piston engines are designed with a certain amount of blow by into the crankcase and because of this they use an air/oil separator. Crankcase oil vapor comes out of the breather tube and into the separator which is a small canister that has the vapors entering the canister tangentally from the side. Centrifugal action separates the oil from the air, and the oil is routed (from the bottom center of canister) back into the engine case through a hose, and the air (now clean) is exhausted over board from the top center of the canister. This is a very simple device that is very efficient in operation. This may help with your excessive oil loss and clean up you engine. Doug

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
we should add that to the FAQ's list...good job zigg it answered some of my questions....good timing to the CDR was off the truck with me trying to figure out what was what!

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

It wasn't meant to be a write-up, just a long winded, couldn't sleep, middle of the night, thinking out loud answer...

I sure would like to get my hands on one of those centrifugal spinner device units.

My condenser is basically a set of 3/4" tubes snaking back and forth in front of the rad. The idea is that directional changes and length of exposure causes the oil to condense(much like a still) on the walls a drip down. At the bottom is a "T", the oil goes out the bottom, the (now cleaner) vapours out the top back to the intake. I did make one before that was a can full of loosly wound steel wool, but it didn't seem to condense as well, and was only 1/2" at the inlet and outlet, and seemed to cause positive pressure in the crankcase, and of course the associated oil leaks. Only condensed a couple ounces, and lost 2 quarts to leaks in 500 miles.
:rolleyes: :Whatever:

Anyway, I'm hoping to not care less in a month or so after I get my newly "built" 6.9 into my crewcab and running, and turboed, and then blowby will be a thing of the past!!

Zigg

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I can see plenty blowby coming out the rdt, but the last blackstone said the engine keeps getting better :confused: .

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While Zigg's account is pretty accurate, I'll speak to the oil consumption issue as a possible counter opionion. I have 3 IDI's, all of which run the RDT. The benefits far outweight the negative in my opionion for several reasons. First off, on the turbo charged IDI, I have a clean intake and will be able to tell if a turbo seal goes out on me very easily. If I manage to get an intercooler on it, I won't have to worry about it getting gunked up either. I've not seen a turbo IDI that didn't have some "CDR drool" all over the intake from the turbo hat leaking presure and spewing crankcase oil. Squirreltow's new ride was a great example of that. The other two IDI's are NA, and the Bronco being that the engine is somewhat undocumented in terms of milage, has far worse blow by than the other two. I have a clear hose on the RDT, and I can see the oil trying to get out. Because of the way I have it plumbed, the oil only goes up the hose so far, then runs back down. I know for a fact a lot of this oil ended up in the intake because of what I saw when I originally took posession of this motor, so I am of the opionion that an RDT CAN reduce oil consumption, depending on the situation. Let us remember also, that failing all other excuses, the CDR is only there because it is an emissions related component. I've yet to see an emissions related component that ever helped an engine.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I have run mine in two different configurations, 1 was with one of those fancy crankcase breathers that you get at Autozone. I plugged it right into the oil fill neck. It left the front of my engine a mess and it made my truck look like it was on fire at every stop light.

The second is with Banks' CDR relocater. It bolts on the IP housing and moves the filler tube out about an inch. It allowed me to run a 1" hose down to the frame. I now have very little smoke and no oil dripping. 1 drawback is the smell at idle at stop lights. I don't have a plan to remedy it, yet.

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have read several posts about the RDT, what is the best way or maybe i should ask the cleanest looking way to install a RDT?