Rev-X Review

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Those having experience with the HEUI Injection System, you know that stiction is an issue (especially in a 6.0) that can be aggravating.

With my 03 6.0, I've had a minor stiction issue off and on for a while. Normally when it's colder outside (like in the 30's F and below) on a cold engine. Two winters ago, I was still running Motorcraft 15w-40 Conventional Oil, and if I didn't plug the truck in, in these temperatures it just wouldn't start. I switched to Chevron Delo 5w-40 Full Synthetic Oil, and this helped the cold start and stiction, wasn't perfect, but much better.

Now, to this winter, still using Delo, I've had the truck start in the low teens without being plugged in, but it was NOT happy about it, clatter, chug, knock, but where there was a bit of heat in the heads, it would smooth out.

Two weeks ago, I was due for an oil change. In talking to a couple of fellas, one who was an engineer for Navistar on the 6.0 had recommended Rev-X. It works well, and will help with stiction. So I bought 4 gallons of oil, a Motorcraft oil filter, and 2 bottled (8 ounces total, recommended amount for this size engine) and changed the oil.

I've now put a couple hundred miles on this change.... and much to my surprise, the Rev-X WORKED!!!

The ultimate test was this morning. It got to 20 F overnight, and I purposely did not plug the truck in. I know how it "normally" acts in this weather, and figured it would be a good test.

Turned on the key, waited for the WTS, hit the key and it fired right up. No miss, no knock, no smoke..... started like it was 70 degrees out. Let it idle for just a minute or two and eased out of the driveway, and when I would normally have a rough running, low power condition, not this morning..... it ran well and didn't miss a beat..... and this is on Factory 162,000 mile injectors........

I have no connection to Rev-X, just sharing my experience...... so it is something for you to think about..... I am not a big "additive because it's supposed to work" kind of person.... but seeing the difference myself proved to me this stuff works!!!!!

@79jasper @Kevin 007 @DaveBen

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yep. For the 6.0's the spool valve gets gummed up. Can actually be taken apart and cleaned.
But most of these big three products work. (Rev-x, archoil, hotshots)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gonna have to add this to my 98 E350, im 100 miles overdue for a oil change!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Used it on a few customers trucks as well Scott.
Like jasper said, the spool valves get gummed up and the stiction modifiers do help clear it up.
Darrin Tosh can attest to its magical powers as well with a 6.0l dually that got an oil cooler and 2 bottles of RevX to clear up a wonky injector.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just got this product in.
light duty diesels = 4 oz.
medium diesel = 8 oz
as my van has no issues, im thinking about adding 4 oz to the oil.
should i use 8?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
My 6.0 uses 15 quarts of oil so just shy of 4 gallons and it is recommend on them to use 8oz due to the size of engine and oil capacity.......

Looking at Rev-X's site, it looks like they recommend 2 bottles (8oz) for the 7.3 and 6.0. I think we fall into the "Medium Duty" engine classification. I think light duty would be like a VW IDI or TDI......

Since you don't have any problem, you could try 4, and if you don't notice any difference, add the other 4..... I noticed a difference the first day I drove it with the Rev-X in the oil..... but I did have a bit of stiction happening at the time.....

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worked for son's 06 6o, had a new pump at 160k orig injectors still 230k, had stumble when cold, all cleared up now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online