Resurrecting a $900 1986 with 7.3idi swap. Fuel?

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try using a clear hose from a bucket to feed pump.

Also you probably just need a new pump they are 40 bucks, I made a you tube in how to replace them, and in my experience a good manual fuel pump with good batteries and a good starter primed the entire system from brand new replaced by me in 3 cranking cycles.
Before the filter head change, I was getting fuel out of the Schraeder valve, seen here

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I do that with mine it just sucks the fuel all up not like that I would say that’s broken.

I heard that we need to be picky about what lift pumps we use to replace?

Do you have the link to your YT video on replacing the pump? I know the arm needs to be in a specific position as does the cam lobe

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
What's your pressure without vacuum? You're supposed to measure it without vacuum.
You and Skylab both missed something. You missed the part where he hooked the vacuum gauge to the inlet of the lift pump. He missed the fact that vacuum is measured in in/hg instead of PSI. PSI is for pressure only vacuum is "negative" pressure in a sense. I don't think that you can compare the suction of a lift pump with the pressure of the outlet of the same lift pump. I don't think that you'll get the same readings.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You and Skylab both missed something. You missed the part where he hooked the vacuum gauge to the inlet of the lift pump. He missed the fact that vacuum is measured in in/hg instead of PSI. PSI is for pressure only vacuum is "negative" pressure in a sense. I don't think that you can compare the suction of a lift pump with the pressure of the outlet of the same lift pump. I don't think that you'll get the same readings.
Great catch, I got my wires crossed there

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I got in contact with the PO and they mentioned that the fuel lift pump may still be under warranty.

I took the lift pump off. Here are some pictures. The truck has sat for a year+ so I think that answers where the white milkshake came from that’s near the pivot of the lift pump arm.

Is it a smart idea to delete the mechanical lift pump and use an electric pump instead? Or should I stick with the mechanical pumps. I just want something that’s reliable

Attachments

• 95386984-85E7-4B7A-8846-4BC6CE300634.jpeg
    95386984-85E7-4B7A-8846-4BC6CE300634.jpeg
    360.4 KB · Views: 3
  • DD283CB2-07DA-4FF6-9446-07B0D6D2CE6E.jpeg
    DD283CB2-07DA-4FF6-9446-07B0D6D2CE6E.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 3
  • EFE8269B-640D-477B-B7BA-5327470176ED.jpeg
    EFE8269B-640D-477B-B7BA-5327470176ED.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 3
  • 9A71CDE0-FD20-4AE8-B03F-C235316B6C83.jpeg
    9A71CDE0-FD20-4AE8-B03F-C235316B6C83.jpeg
    310.2 KB · Views: 3

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I just got mine from Napa, the lift pumps are not as sensative as the ip pumps
I read the Haynes book on this truck and it said to make sure the cam/arm is in the low position. How can you tell? With the pump backed off the block about 3/4 of the way, I couldn’t tell what position the arm was in.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I got in contact with the PO and they mentioned that the fuel lift pump may still be under warranty.

I took the lift pump off. Here are some pictures. The truck has sat for a year+ so I think that answers where the white milkshake came from that’s near the pivot of the lift pump arm.

Is it a smart idea to delete the mechanical lift pump and use an electric pump instead? Or should I stick with the mechanical pumps. I just want something that’s reliable
It's really a matter of preference, I think. If you're planning on alternative fuel, I'd stay with the mechanical pump. Though some guys say the Holley red and black will pump WMO.

Everything breaks at some point. Mechanical pumps diaphragm can tear, electric pumps motor will burn up.....pick your poison.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I’ll put a mechanical fuel pump back on.

Are there brands/versions to stay away from? Should I get a motor craft only pump or is a standard Chineseium off-the-shelf pump at my local store good enough (Carter/Delphi, etc?)

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On stock engines i leave the mechanical on modified engines I run electric. would recommend the same.
That's a fine rule of thumb, I'm going to use that in the future. If someone is souping up their engine, they're obviously not running WMO.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I’ll put a mechanical fuel pump back on.

Are there brands/versions to stay away from? Should I get a motor craft only pump or is a standard Chineseium off-the-shelf pump at my local store good enough (Carter/Delphi, etc?)
I haven't had any issues with china brand.....I'm sure someone is throwing sticks at me because I said that.