Replacing water pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My experience with an AutoZone water pump echos Mel's warning. Mine lasted 25K and that was it. Sure it has a lifetime warrenty, but I'm not playing the pull the water pump every 25K game. I bought a new Ford water pump for $90 from my local dealer. When I rebuilt the 6.9 in the crew cab........ Bought a new Ford water pump as well.

My bet is.... if it's got a lifetime warrenty, you'll be needing to keep that recipt for a lifetime as you'll be replacing that part more than you'd like.

Heath

Reaction score
FWIW, O'Reilly's does sell Motorcraft pumps. Website shows it as special order, so no idea on price. May be worth a look, though.

Mike

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reaction score
That's 9 bucks more than Napa in Oroville WA for the damn pump...OMG...OMG...still 50 less than NAPA locally and damn near 200 less than stealership locally...OMG...YOU US guys suck ;Poke...you gots such good deals....OMG-Drool

That link is to a dealership in MI, nowhere near me. You'd have to factor in shipping, but they're prices are pretty good. They're big sponsors of various Ford forums, so I try to use them and plug them whenever I can. If you call 'em up, ask for Steve, but really they're all good guys.

Mike

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This came up in another WP thread, so I figured I should add it to my wp thread....again thanks Gary:hail

... The fan shroud will need to be removed before the fan and clutch can come out. I also place a piece of card board between the fan and the radiater. No need to nick the radiater when the fan comes off the water pump shaft. BTW that big nut is a left hand thread. It will tell you that on the fan shroud too.

Fantastic tip Gary TY!

OK Fan is off....used a lil trick called ...blue flame wrench....anyone heard of it...NO really I did..but I also smothered the clutch in this COLD COAT stuff too keep heat away..supposed to be for welding but eh...I thought *** right....and had a running garden hose so once fan loose I hit it with water n cooled it all down.

The cold coat is a thick gelatin like liquid that sprays on kinda nice and sticks well too...here there is some left on fan after washing it down with water to help cool it down...clutch seems fine to BTW

You must be registered for see images attach

Ya this is nasty

Got to play with one of my favorite tools...the RIGHT ANGLE DRIVE...makes my life so easy I tell ya:D:sly

After flushing the system previously and having all the scale and rust come out, I was extremely skeptical as to how good of shape the separator plate would be behind the water pump, I expected significant rust/cavitation....OMG NADDA ISSUE AT ALL;Sweet

Thought...well lets get these petcock shots in here too as well as my flush thread so first

Drivers side

Passengers side...

I'll be updating more as I go of course...with LOTS of pics of course. SOP for me as ya'll know...

Hope the cleanup of plate and install of pump when it gets here goes as well as it the removal does...

On a side note...noticed my ALT pully is SHOT and the bearins are well...noisy and loose, so I'm gonna look at a 3G install maybe ......I have direct replacement 1G now so it's a simple bolt in no change of belt or nothing

Will keep ya posted thanks for reading

AL

EDIT,

Add Gary's tip of cardboard protection of rad from nicks!

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As some of you know I tire quickly since my stroke..... so I'm in out in out on the truck and resting in between posts...this sucks cause I couldn't work like this at a regular job...ugh

That being said, did some more cleaning got that separation plate all cleaned off and I took taps and dies and chased all the water pump mounting bolts and bolt holes except the one my finger points to in the on pic as it appears to pass through to the inside the area where the timing gears are and I did not want to push any foreign material into the pan/oil etc. All other holes are tapped and blown clear. I checked for any holes passing right through before I did this.

Now the plate is spotless and wiped with thinner to take off all traces of grease etc...

Gotta like nice slow steady progress....next...get the pump and gasket and use my aviation form a gasket on it and seal that puppy up!:D

Looks like the separation plate has some issues with corrosion....clearly it's behind the gasket and not seen till cleaned...still not too bad. I'll live with it!

Whatcha all think?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lookin good Al, now come up here and put my cooler back together! haha jk

Told ya...bring it down here ......we coulda been done n back together....in time for lunch!....LOL seriously though if your not familiar with these things...tis a real pain in places where u don't like sand and you don't like sunburns!....

On a side note back to my water pump...Rose went n picked one up....not too sure if it's a reman or not but sure looks like was...the gasket surface is appalling to say the least...

As you can see, looks like it was smacked here n there and has some filing and what not needed to be done.

Lordco has a CARDONE new pump 3y/36,000 Mile warranty....may just consider that route.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We actually have 4 bolts that enter the oily side of the engine around the water pump. The two top and the two bottom bolts. They require some thread sealant to keep the oil from leaking past them.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We actually have 4 bolts that enter the oily side of the engine around the water pump. The two top and the two bottom bolts. They require some thread sealant to keep the oil from leaking past them.

Thanks Gary, I appreciate that tip, I'll be doing the thread sealant on all bolts so no issues with rusty bolts...I FREAKIN hate issues like that drives me crazy....as usuall ya'll will see what goes on...I'll be posting pics as I takes some breaks...gotta stay healthy and happy...:D

I had planned to go wheeling last weekend but due to the leak in pump, I chose not too. I coulda taken enough water/coolant and such to make that trip but it's quite taxing on a rig from my understanding.

Now I KNOW I'm good to go. The evidence speaks to me in that the old pump was leaking mildly for a while, and I suspect that when they parked it the rust settled and pump got plugged, and then when I flushed it all the crap came out...and voila leaks...OH well...IT WON"T now!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a crap pump. A fomoco pump has machined surfaces. The tolerances are tighter too. The impeller is closer to the housing, so less caviation and so it would move more water.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That sure is a rebuilt pump. Use a 12 inch single cut smooth file to clean up the gasket surface. Any high spots will show up as what we called finger prints. The metal thats high will shine clean as its cut down to the gasket surface. Plus the file will grab or stick to the burrs being higher than the base metal... Running a file or shapening stone with plenty of oil over any meatal sealing surface will pick up any burrs in the finish surface...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pump was returned today....got other plans....and I'm set for tomorrow's install....FIRST Paint the pump that is going in...so I"ll do that tomorrow when wifey's not home...can let it dry then bake in oven at 125 for 20 minutes! SHE hates me when I do that...rofl...no idea why???? House has a nice Just painted smell when done!

Then it's install, new heater hoses too, Still fabbing bracket for Coolant filter, I may add my Racor FG 500 on the bracket too, uncertain till I see how it all may fit!.

I'll keep the posts going tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.