Replacement shifter?

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my truck (89 7.3L idi w/zf5) The shifter was ghetto rigged by bolting another type of shifter to the broken off portion of the shifter at the base (The old shifter broke off :eek: )... Unfortunately I keep snapping the bolts which hold it on which is VERY frustrating especially if I'm driving..

My question is, I've been trying to find a replacement 5spd shifter with ZERO luck.. Does anyone know other compatible shifters that would bolt up to my zf5?
Any chance any of ya'll have a spare hanging around you could sell me? ;)
thanks in advance!

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats the thing, I've checked one local JY with NO luck.. its my understanding this shifter is part of the transmission itself, correct? so finding a truck with the motor still in it is a tall order =/

I'll keep trying some other jy's with hopes of finding one.

dancrowley

danc01
Reaction score
ZF 5 speed shifter

:thumbsup: Go to Ebay Motors and search for item #330450684136. I think it's just what you need. Dan

Last edited:

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately, my shifter base looks NOTHING like that.. :confused:
what the hell trans do I have?
I'll snap pics when I get home.

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I bolted my shifter back together with some grade 8 hardware, lets hope it holds up for now.

Heres pics I snapped of the base.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

after looking at these pics, it looks as if this is a zf5 shifter, just cut and extremely ghetto rigged.
heres the unit for sale on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...All-Categories&_fvi=1&viewitem=#ht_500wt_1182

Last edited:

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Ya your is a zf5 transmission, the top piece bolts on with like 6-8 bolts on top of the transmission. I am pretty sure the part on ebay is what your needing.

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it looks as it is. Unfortunately I dont want to purchase that thing just yet (I know I'm a cheap ass)
I'll see how the grade8 bolts hold up and if they fail I'll jump on that shift lever.
I repositioned the shift lever and bolted everything up and the shifter feels MUCH better than before

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it looks as it is. Unfortunately I dont want to purchase that thing just yet (I know I'm a cheap ass)
I'll see how the grade8 bolts hold up and if they fail I'll jump on that shift lever.
if you won't move on it, I will. I paid as much or more for those shifters in the past.
F450's like having the internals for lunch. the rough suspension on the trucks really messes things up.

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you won't move on it, I will. I paid as much or more for those shifters in the past.

Go ahead and jump on it if you need one. I'm not looking to pour too much money into this truck as this is my daily until my other project car gets up and running.