Replace blown 94 id I turbo

Cranky

Reaction score
Newbie here.Sure is a lot of info on here. Anyway bought a 94 standard cab 4x4 nice body etc.Any way engine blown,oil high on dip stick owner said used a lot of oil before garage towed it. My question is I have another rusted 1990 7.3 n!a with 60,000 miles. Can I use this motor in the 94 using turbo from it on the 60,000 mi. 7.3Also does it have any electronics I need to worry about? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of the components should transfer over without a problem. As long as your sure the 94 engine is in fact an idi, and not a 94.5 power stroke.

Cranky

Reaction score
Yes it is a idi turbo not powerstroke. Bought the truck for 1300 bucks. Thanks for the input. I will take a picture of it when I get it.200,000 mi. On it but you could eat off it that clean new tires and loaded,guess he just have up on it!

Cranky

Reaction score
Yes I will. Garage where truck was towed said truck used 2 gal. Of oil in 300 mi.,oil to top of dipstick.Ran but missed.Would only start with diesel poured into intake.About 200,000 on motor.Might be toast.Truck not here yet so we'll see!

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I will. Garage where truck was towed said truck used 2 gal. Of oil in 300 mi.,oil to top of dipstick.Ran but missed.Would only start with diesel poured into intake.About 200,000 on motor.Might be toast.Truck not here yet so we'll see!
Sounds like might be rebuildable yet, just wore out real bad.

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the flywheel or flex plate will not transfer over because of different balancing between factory turbo and NA also you'll need to make a custom turbo oil feed line as the idi-t has 1/4 npt and the idi na has 1/8th npt. otherwise everything will bolt up you'll have to switch to your serp setup

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the flywheel or flex plate will not transfer over because of different balancing between factory turbo and NA also you'll need to make a custom turbo oil feed line as the idi-t has 1/4 npt and the idi na has 1/8th npt. otherwise everything will bolt up you'll have to switch to your serp setup

If both have manual or automatic transmission , pull the NA out put in good truck and slap the turbo on it.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pouring diesel down the intake is probably what blew it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cranky

Reaction score
Well donor n/a motor is auto tranny. New 94 turbo motor is 5 speed so guess I'll need another flywheel on the n/a motor I'm putting in right?Then use turbo on the n/a

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well donor n/a motor is auto tranny. New 94 turbo motor is 5 speed so guess I'll need another flywheel on the n/a motor I'm putting in right?Then use turbo on the n/a
Yes you'll need a smf clutch kit for a 88-92 7.3 NA motor. the turbo and everything else is bolt up but the flywheel between turbo and NA has different balancing

DavidS

Reaction score
The crank is also different between turbo and NA, it is balanced differently to account for the heavier rods and pistons in the turbo. I just went through this on my truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online