removing torque converter

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
iv got the motor out a truck to swap with a c6 trans and how do you remove the converter? i only see bolts on the motor side of the flywheel but it doesnt look like i can get to them?

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
what exactly do you need to do? is the tranny sitting on the floor or is it still attached to the engine?

if you have a helper, have him/her spin the engine over with a breaker until you can see the bolts through the inspection area, then go right at them. if you dont have a helper you may be able to manhandle the flywheel or pry it to the point that you can see the screws you need to remove.

after that your converter will just be sitting on the input shaft and you can pull it right off.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
iv got the trans in the truck and the motor out with the converter on it.

i need to take the converter off and move it to a different engine.

im not sure how it comes off. never messed with autos before.

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
oh. well thats easy if you dont even have to deal with the bellhousing. just spin the motor over at the crank bolt until you can get to the bolts.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
ah ok, i see what your saying. ill give it another shot tomorrow and post back if i have a problem.

when i put it all back together would it be easier to put the converter on the trans and bolt it to the flywheel after the motor is in?

or is it easier to try and slip the motor onto the input shaft?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEVER put the convertor on the engine, you will waste the front pump. Should never pull them this way either. I would put a new seal in the trans. It most likely is damaged.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Typ4 has it correct.... You have already ruined the front seal so now is a good time to replace it. Leaving the torque converter on the flexplate is the worst thing to can do. If you don't feel like you have the tools or skill level to install the seal take it to a trans shop. Have them install the seal and the torque converter. Look at the shaft on the converter. See the notched areas. Those two areas must fit into the front pump. If you miss that and shove it in the trans will become junk plus it wont fit the bell housing. Seems I posted about something like this earlier about leaving the converter on the motor....:dunno

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
ah ok, i see what your saying. ill give it another shot tomorrow and post back if i have a problem.

when i put it all back together would it be easier to put the converter on the trans and bolt it to the flywheel after the motor is in?

or is it easier to try and slip the motor onto the input shaft?
ive found its easier (and the correct way, as the previous couple of responses mentioned) to put the TC on the input shaft, then pull it up to the flywheel with the bellhousing bolts.

little late but definitely take those guys ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ advice and get a new seal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online

No members online now.