Removing flaking paint from galvanized hood

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever since I bought my truck the hood has had an issue with the paint flaking off. Last year I sanded, primed and painted it to protect it over the winter but come spring time it was flaking again.

It is NOT the new paint that's flaking. Everywhere that is flaking now is still the older paint, that I just sanded and coated over. I'm assuming I'm going to need to remove all the original paint so the new paint will stick. What's the best plan? I was thinking either a heat gun or I'm stuck with chemical stripper. The metal under the paint is Galvanized and i'd like to keep that. I'll acid wash the galvanization before painting anyway, I just want to keep what galvanization I can on it.

I think this may have been "fixed" once before. You can see where the whole hood and roof were re-painted.They did a crappy job masking it.

I thought about the paint remover wheels but will they pull the Galv off too?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on the year all the manufactures had a run of paint problems. Ford was real bad in the late 80s early 90’s. They ended up repainting a bunch of them because they flaked in no time. Personally I would strip it to metal. If you watch you can leave most of the galvanize in tact.
You must be registered for see images attach

If you look in this picture you can see the brighter galvanize and the darker bare steel where it sanded through. I try to leave it but honestly with modern coatings, it probably doesn’t matter that much.

I would recommend stripping it and shooting it with a good epoxy primer to seal it. Then repaint. That’s just me though.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With proper prep, you wouldn't need the galvanic anyways.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yeah but you're not paranoid from growing up in the rust belt haha

@laserjock Just to clarify, would you recommend chemical stripping or mechanical stripping?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d mechanical strip. I’ve tried chemical strippers. It’s really nasty. Like I said, you can sand it down to metal and leave the galvanize if you are careful. But even if you sand through it’s really no big deal with modern urethane products. I use 80 grit on my DA but follow what your paint system calls for.