Remove coking with egt?

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i heard mention if you get your egt high enough the carbon deposits will turn to ash. Anyone hear any truth to is, and if so what temp do you need on the pyro. Also I'm curious how some of you get 20-30k miles on wmo I just started and have burned approximately 120 gallons I filter down to 2 mic and I already notice a slight haze at idle now that wasn't there before. I ordered a centrifuge and I'm thinking by maybe better filtration will pull the particles that cause the coking.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Timing can have a factor in coking.
A lot use water injection to clear it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alum. Melts at what 1300 deg????
I bet carbon has a higher critical point...

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting a load on it helps yes... get EGTs up over 1k with some weight in the truck and it'll help clear it up.

Water/**** injection does help a good bit.

A bump in timing will also help a lot as oil has more energy but burns slower.. advancing the timing helps get a cleaner, more complete burn... but you have to balance that with not having TOO much advance on diesel.

Preheating the oil using a flat plate heat exchanger helps too. The closer the oil is to combustion temp, the faster/easier it will burn in the chambers.

Armo

Reaction score
That's why a lot of people recommend a hard trailer run to get those higher loads with harder combustion pops under full power as well as egts. The risk is you can run to hard and melt pistons.
Some years ago in my stock 12 valve I was driving through an area that had a high speed limit so I tried to keep up by keeping the peddle to the metal . I ran around with it floored for about 15-20 miles. At one point I recall looking in my rear view mirror and seeing dense brown smoke appear like it was coming from my pickup and since it started on a turn I could see cars enter but vanish into this stuff. Looking in my side mirror I noticed it billowing out my exhaust. I thought I had ruined my old 12 valve so let off on the peddle it stopped puking brown bile and I completed the next 40 miles of my trip no problem. Years later same stretch of road this time I had an egt gauge and wondered what egts I was hitting doing that peddle to the metal run. For about 1-2 miles i kept the throttle pegged and seen my egts hit 950F quickly and steadily climb once I approached 1k I wussed out. That brown was most likely carbon being burned and I somehow got lucky and didn't do damage as far as I'm aware.
I wonder how well some of the steel piston diesels in development would handle alternative fuels using the higher egt they are designed to operating under.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I centrifuge for multiple passes until the WMO stops making grease and found that makes a big difference. Excessive centrifuging, proper blending, and WMO tune for my PSD led me to thousands of trouble and haze free miles. In my 8.3 Cummins, I didn't have the option of a tune so just stuck to excessive centrifuging and proper blending.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I centrifuge for multiple passes until the WMO stops making grease and found that makes a big difference. Excessive centrifuging, proper blending, and WMO tune for my PSD led me to thousands of trouble and haze free miles. In my 8.3 Cummins, I didn't have the option of a tune so just stuck to excessive centrifuging and proper blending.

Clean oil is certainly key. We run ours looped on the 55gph centrifuge for 48hrs now and it runs great on it. I do get some hazing if the truck idles for extended periods but otherwise, can't tell its running on waste oil.

Bogie

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I'm new to your website but thinking of running my Motorhome on a blend of WMO and Diesel it has a 2002 ISC 350 Cummins with Cummins electronic injection
I would definitely centrefuge my oil probably twice to make sure it is clean
Any thoughts or suggestions ??

clint bartels

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok gravity fed fuge or pressure? Would your tank recirculate or one pass into a second "clean" tank? Ware will you get your oil? Will it contain antifreeze or paint? Water and antifreeze can be removed but not paint. PAINT IS BAD!!!

Also a hydrometer is a must!!! Ypu will need the 0.82-0.89 for ??? ~$30
http://www.novatech-usa.com/Products/Specific-Gravity-Hydrometers/?search=6602+

This allows your injectors to process the oil correctly and allows your oil to blend into your D2.

Also this is a good place to start for WMO.
https://usfiltermaxx.com/en/content/9-make-black-diesel

Most ppl blend with RUG (regular unleaded gas) of the e-free (ethanol free) variety. Or better yet ATF (rocket fuel)-Flame Thr. Then mix very well with your D2 then burn.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online