Removal of a problem axle nut

oldschoolmc

Reaction score
2007 GMC 5500

How would you remove this axle nut? There is no hex left on the damaged axle nut for the socket to latch onto. I am thinking about drilling two holes in the nut and being careful to stay out of the spindel then taking a dermal tool and cutting the rest, then taking a chisel to finish the job.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that looks like it got killed flat dead. i'd just get a chisel and hammer and go neanderthal and walk it out counterclockwise.
what's the backstory?

oldschoolmc

Reaction score
I have a 1992 Top Kick Roll Back Wrecker and I do Road Side Assistance. I am also a U Haul Dealer and I do mostly flat tires for U Haul.

But this U Haul Truck just had new brakes calipers and rotors on it 300 miles before the bearings failed. The hub does have some in and out play and the back side of the axle flange rubbed the nut down.

I am glad I found this forum, I have a 1987 F350 6.9 I use to tow cars out of state using a car trailer. Then I can look like any regular hillbilly towing his car and avoid scales and the D.O.T.!!!

Last edited:

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I'd stick some good self tapping screws into the face and twist it out with a piece of scrap across them