Rebuilt transmission already acting up (edit: vac pump actually)

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
$2000 on a C6 rebuild.....CRAZY!! I hope it lasts 2 lifetimes. Course they prolly pulled it.

Glad you found the culprit!! Get yer GV installed yet?

Nope they didn't do the r&r. Many internal hard parts were ruined they said, so that drove up the cost. And it was in an expensive part of the country.

The veterinarian I took my dog to for annuals at the same time there was stupidly expensive too.

Nope not installed yet because I foolishly bought that 64 VW baja bug last summer, so money has been going to that. It's finally drivable pretty reliably now at least so the new spending on it has drastically dropped. I have to rely on a shop to do it, due to needing the driveshaft shortened. Maybe next winter.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
So, how is the vac hose being short/installed incorrectly in any way the shops fault?
That hose is attached to a hard line that's clipped on the transmission itself, not to the body of the vehicle. So when they got the transmission, that line was attached to it. The other end of the hard line goes to a rubber hose that then leads to the VRV. Or something like that. So they replaced the hose when they had it, with a too short hose. I replaced that hose myself back in 2019 with a plenty long hose, so there's that too. They tossed out the old longer hose and used some too short scrap hose, I'd venture to guess.

edit: ok maybe I'm totally wrong looking back at the pics of the pulled transmission, but not a great angle to see that side. not sure where that short hose came from then

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Good grief, another vacuum pump failure!

The one I got from O'Reilly last summer, to replace the 5 year old lifetime warranty one that was getting weak, has totally failed today while driving down the interstate. It failed even worse than the Walmart sourced one I was able to get refund on despite being a week past the 90 days. It blew itself clean apart. I realized it taking an exit, so it wasn't in a panic stop, so no wreck.

I put on an "unknown if good" one that @BlindAmbition sent me (complete with the pulley and bracket), and it is in fact good. Checked it with a HFT vac gauge first thing after installing it and sure enough it had very good pressure. It got me a bit over 2 miles across town to a Walmart with an O'Reilly across the street.

This city (Kingman, AZ) bans "overnight camping", and WM has signs up saying so. I spoke to a WM manager I happened to see out on the floor, and they basically said they can't say I'm allowed to stay, since it's a city code thing, but the implication was that they themselves don't care. They said if I cop comes tell me to leave, then of course I have to leave. If the cops do sweep the lot tonight, maybe I'll get one who isn't a total ass and might not drive me away.

I already called ahead to O'Reilly and have one on order for pickup in the morning. She actually ordered 2 by mistake she said, but of course I don't have to get both. Although, the way these things are dying on me, I'm almost tempted to get another lifetime warranty pump, so I can always have a new lifetime warranty spare on hand. They're like $170 with tax these days but good god, they're suddenly not lasting for me.

Now maybe it's related to that C6 hose that as undone for so long, dunno. But in any case I'll be getting a new one again tomorrow.

Looks like it might have seized up and ripped itself apart. Note the awful gouge in it. I dunno if I got all the bits from it since some might have fallen out on the interstate but that's what I was able to see and save from it.

(edit: actually it looks like it unthreaded the lobe from the shaft and then went kablooy)

Just as well perhaps, the cheap belt was looking pretty ratty, so I put on the new Gates XL belt I bought months ago. So it has a good high quality belt, now.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
New Cardone pump installed and working. Same brand as the one I got from WM that went bad so fast, but you take what you can get under lifetime warranty. The O'Reilly in Kingman did an equal exchange at least, so I didn't have to pay the difference. The one last year in Utah was gonna do that if I didn't get the Dorman one, which they ate the shipping cost on since it was special order. The Dorman one I bought in 2017 was $120 without a core charge. The Cardone one they stock instead now is $158 + $6 core.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online