Rear main seal leakage - should I use a stop leak? [1994 IDI w/ turbo]

Andrew Sang

Reaction score
Oil has been dripping out of this spout for a while since I bought my truck. I changed the oil to a synthetic with the proper viscosity, and added in some engine restore + cleaned out the crankcase vent to deal with the excessive crankcase pressure (heard hiss when opening oil cap) and that seemed to stop the oil pan from leaking, but this (bell housing?) spout continues to leak, and the area around it too, so I believe it's a bad RMS. Should I try a stop leak product like Bar's or could that cause damage? Which stop leak would you suggest?

You must be registered for see images attach

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of oil! If it leaks that bad, pull the tranny and replace the seal. 1st Pull that inspection cover & make sure nothing else like valve covers may be leaking & oil pan where it meets block at rear. Crank seal bad will show oil on the flywheel.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It could also be transmission fluid, but if it is, it's extremely dirty looking. It should be changed. A stop leak may work. It didn't help mine at all. Just so you're aware and don't be too disappointed if it doesn't work.

Andrew Sang

Reaction score
Pretty sure it's engine oil. Yeah it doesn't seem to be dripping out of the side of the pan as much, but it's still dripping out of the rear main area. Strange because it doesn't seem to be coming out of the weep hole, but around it. I added some stop-leak and it seemed to help. I'll drive it around and maybe put another stop leak in there, and we'll see how things are going before I pull the transmission. I'll try to get my hands on a Haynes manual first too

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May be running down rear of engine. Check turbo lines and valve covers. VCs can pour from the rear. Clean & Check everything else before pulling tranny. You have a lot of oil draining down the sides/rear on pipe per your photo. Did not sling there

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May be running down rear of engine. Check turbo lines and valve covers. VCs can pour from the rear. Clean & Check everything else before pulling tranny. You have a lot of oil draining down the sides/rear on pipe per your photo. Did not sling there

+1 on riphip’s response, you could also get it super clean and then do the black light oil additive to confirm if it’s engine oil and/or the exact location of the leak.

Good luck, oil leaks can be tough but rewarding to fix!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The problem with the above suggestions is that if one of the upper places is leaking, it should run down the side of the block and drip onto, over , and off of the starter. Since this is coming from the transmission inspection cover, it's most likely the rear seal.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with additives. None with 'fix' a badly worn seal. Synthetic oil may even leak worse (typically thinner).

Keep your oil topped up, put down a drip pad, and address the leak the next time you have the transmission removed.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear main seal on mine was teflon. No additive will fix that material like it will a rubber like material.

Tim McKay

Reaction score
The seal restorers you buy over the shelf work by swelling the rubber in the seal. It does this with an additive ( many times some type of alcohol). This additive is aggressive to the rubber, and swells it like a dry sponge getting wet. The problem with this is you loose the durometer ( hardness) of the rubber, and wear can progress exponentially. The effect on the seal is dependent on the rubber formulation of the seal. So you might have less of a leak due to the swelling, but its possible it wont last long, and wear quickly.
These trucks last so long, leaks on rubber rotational seals are bound to happen long before the engine dies.
A bit of history: in the late 80s/early 90s many seal manufacturers went through a process of reformulating their rubbers to withstand synthetic oils. Mobil 1 was particularly aggressive in those days. It is possible the seals in your truck are not formulated to withstand the synthetic oil. Also, synthetic oil does a good job of finding a path to leak where a normal dino oil will not. There is no ill effect on the metal parts from the synthetic oil, but the vintage of our trucks may not have the seals to withstand it.
The only way to stop a leak On a rotational or reciprocating seal is to replace it. If there is a groove in the shaft where the seal rides, change the installation depth of the seal so the lip will ride on a new surface. Be sure to install the seal square in the bore. Be careful banging the seal in, you dont want to bent the metal case in the seal, and you do not want the seal lip spring to jump off, it can do that with repeated hard banging.
Just so you know Im not full of hot air, I have 15years engineering experience in powertrain sealing with an OEM supplier. One of our largest customers was Ford, although I did not work on any of these trucks.
Good luck with the fix.

Sergey

Reaction score
Oil has been dripping out of this spout for a while since I bought my truck. I changed the oil to a synthetic with the proper viscosity, and added in some engine restore + cleaned out the crankcase vent to deal with the excessive crankcase pressure (heard hiss when opening oil cap) and that seemed to stop the oil pan from leaking, but this (bell housing?) spout continues to leak, and the area around it too, so I believe it's a bad RMS. Should I try a stop leak product like Bar's or could that cause damage? Which stop leak would you suggest?
My 85 F250 when viewed in that area looks similar. Oil drips onto exhaust pipe, boils and partially burns on it. Replacing rear main seal is not on my roadmap. Additives did not help at all.
Inspection cover missing causes oil spray over wide area - cover was lost a while ago, did not find matching one for a good price yet.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Derik McClintock

Reaction score
I had a good dripper there, most of it was the valve covers.. not sure how but it was running down and coming out there.. i do have a small dribble from the rear ..
Try the VC bolts they're easy to get to..

Blackascoal

Reaction score
When they replace the tranny do they typically replace the rear main seal? I had my tranny done a couple years ago and now my rear main seal is leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When they replace the tranny do they typically replace the rear main seal? I had my tranny done a couple years ago and now my rear main seal is leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think only if you requested the replacement. TC seal should have been replaced tho.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online