Rear end

briankk

Reaction score
Will somebody explain to me why HD diesel pickups don't have 2-speed rear ends?
Just wondering..

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s still the cost of engineering something that can be warrantied, much cheaper to build transmissions that have more gears than a 2 speed rear, it’s actually getting less common in the heavy industry as well.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will somebody explain to me why HD diesel pickups don't have 2-speed rear ends?
Just wondering..
nobody would order it! kind of same question as why isn't there a 13spd manual trans in a pickup. might be 1 or 2 guys in a 1000 that would order it and it would make the assembly line slow down! faster they get built means more profit...............................

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And, I mean... do you really need it?

We do have a low range on the transfer case(if 4x4) if you really need low speed crawling, but honestly it's rarely needed.

On an auto truck, you have the TC slipping to give you that extra gear-ability; on a manual, well, 1st is pretty low. Low enough that I start in 2nd unloaded.

If you look at the 'rated towing capacity', it isn't too hard to start off fully loaded, and the amount of HP to the ground is the actual limiting factor in that rating(AKA, how much you can load it down while maintaining a decent speed up hills - probably 25mph up a 6% grade for the rating).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VWAudiFord

Members online