Rear door removal

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the rear passenger door on my crew cab is locked, wont unlock with the power locks, wont open with the door handle, and won't unlock with the push rod thing cause I broke it off trying to unlock the door.

How do I fix this? Can I take the door off with it locked somehow?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you open the door from inside of the truck. If so, then yes you can remove the door. You must get the door to open to remove it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If the actuator is stuck, it won't just open from the inside handle.
I hear you can pull the panel without removing the rear seat.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this same problem. I have tried everything to get it unlocked and it won’t. I have not tried to get the panel off yet, but was planning to in the next couple weeks. I look forward to seeing what you find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

retiredinhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you tried a "slim jim" ? If not go buy one then take off other side panel and practice on other door until you can open it up.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t have a real slim Jim but I did take the seal off the inside and was able to grab the rods inside the door with pliers. Couldn’t get it to move.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I can't get the door to even open. I took the 6 bolts out holding the door to the column by the front door in hopes it would come off if I wiggled it around but the lock portion just isn't giving.

Worst part is I've tried to grab the metal things in down from the window area to unlock the door but I think it's so seized that the rod bent. Ugh.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fixed the door and the lock and shut the door and the window shattered in a million pieces. So pissed off.

Cant even find a rear window for a 90 crew cab. To hell with this. What a bunch of bs.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed the door and the lock and shut the door and the window shattered in a million pieces. So pissed off.

Cant even find a rear window for a 90 crew cab. To hell with this. What a bunch of bs.

So what did you do to get it open?
Sorry about the window. That sounds about how my week at work went. Fix one thing and something else goes out in the process.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The door lock motor was so seized its what was keeping the rods and everything from moving. I saw with the panel off of the door from inside the truck it was bending but not giving enough for the door to unlock. I jammed a long piece of metal in and pushed the actuator motor down it's just held in by plastic nubs and once it was detached I could open the door.

I grinded a rectangular window right above the rivet for the actuator motor on the side of the door [you might not wanna do this step as its ugly but so much easier to work on and you cant see the hole from the inside or outside of the truck so whatever]. Then I tossed in a new motor and ignored all of the impossible steps of getting the stupid old swivel wire off or threaded in the ends of the new motor and just put both rods side by side and with another piece of metal and hose clamped them together. Works perfectly did this in the front door on the truck and its been fine for two years.

Put all the trim back on, glued my rectangular cut out back in the hole, cleaned up all the mess and tools I had out, shut the door a normal amount of hard and the window exploded in a million pieces. I still have no idea why. Nothing was pressing against it inside and the track wasn't loose or anything from me messing around in there. Cant understand it.

Hoping this safelight company that's in town can replace an old window like this for me because I just know if I try to jam a window and a track inside a door its gonna end with blood wasted money and no window in a door. I'd rather do a water pump, so I'm just not doing this if I can help it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online