Rear area leak in Borg Warner T18/T19 transmission

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

So I developed a leak between the transfer case and the back of my transmission recently. It started slow then kinda grew, so I figured it was time to see what was up.

After I got the transfer case off, I found that the aluminum part between the transmission and transfer case had one broken lobe/ear. I've never had one of these apart before but it looks like there is supposed to be a gasket between that aluminum piece and the back of the transmission, then would the transmission fluid flow through that in between part and up against the transfer case? It would seem to me like there should be a seal around the back of the transmission where that big bearing is because there isn't any sign of a seal against the transfer case from what I can see.

I have included some pics for reference.

Stamped on the side..
You must be registered for see images attach
[/URL]

View with the middle piece gone from the back of the transmission
[/URL]

The broken middle piece (I have a line on a couple spares of this one)
[/URL]

My redneck transfer case jack. It worked way better than I expected it to! (Wood is nailed together)
[/URL]

While I am here I'll be replacing the transmission mount and cleaning up all the grease and oil. If I had a ZF5 kicking around I think this would be the time to be installing it.

I'm looking over diagrams and researching online as well here, but does anyone know how this end of the transmission seals up? Pictures would be awesome!

Thanks!

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I figured it out..

The rear seal I got taps into the extension housing like a wheel bearing seal would into a wheel which seals the output shaft. Then a paper gasket goes between the extension and the back of the transmission to stop fluid from leaking out between the two. The result is one well lubricated bearing and no leaks!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A good quality RTV will seal anything if the surfaces are absolutly clean. Any oil on any surface and the oil will wick past the joint and then you have a leak.. Even a oil path on any gasket and the oil will leak past it like a wicking action. Nothing can be too clean when your dealing with oil and heat. Add in a little diesel vibration and you have the makings of a gusher..

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I went to ford it was for the thermostat. I told them what I had and what I needed and he looked at me like I wanted a human head. Then he wanted to know if I wanted the water inlet gasket or the water outlet gasket, to which I replied "The thermostat is on that side.. so I kinda want that one." Of course the thermostat also comes with the gasket it needs. I think I have had better luck with the kids at the parts place. At least I got the part I wanted.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I always use rtv on the transfer case side. Ive only had the housing off the trans once and used a paper gasket on that side. Luckily you have a line on a spare housing, I broke all four tabs off mine and it was a pain to find one

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I made cork gaskets and used rtv as well. Been driving a couple of days and no sign of leaks. The new one I had a line on turned out to be the wrong one, so I took the extension housing to a welder my father in law used during his 30+ years farming to fix. He welded the **** out of it. It all went back together with new oils/fluids just fine. Though I have to mention that whoever decided to make the fill and drain plugs so small on these BW 1345 TC's needs a real good smack in the back of the head. Especially since there was lots of room within the re-enforcement ribbing to make them almost twice their size.

At any rate, its all fixed and seems happy.

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a part number for the rear seal you used for the T-19? It looks like there is a space for one, but the output shaft on mine looks pretty rough to be a sealing surface.