Random white smoke from exhaust

Chrismohan

Reaction score
Every once in a while my excursion will blow some white smoke. Really its only happened twice but its obviously not a good thing. It will do it for about a minute then go back to normal. Truck also sometimes rough idles. It does weird things on its own then straightens out. Doesnt throw any codes either. 04 excursion 210k miles. All stock no deletes

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only time I see white smoke is when I cold start it. I have never seen white smoke while running. Did you scan it or you going by the CEL (Check Engine Light) for trouble codes? The truck can set codes and not light the CEL.

Chrismohan

Reaction score
The only time I see white smoke is when I cold start it. I have never seen white smoke while running. Did you scan it or you going by the CEL (Check Engine Light) for trouble codes? The truck can set codes and not light the CEL.
I scanned it and no codes were showing

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Has the coolant level changed? No deletes, you could have an EGR Cooler just starting to fail....... There are a couple checks, but first, how is the level?

Chrismohan

Reaction score
Has the coolant level changed? No deletes, you could have an EGR Cooler just starting to fail....... There are a couple checks, but first, how is the level?
It was low, 2 gallons low. No indication of water in the oil though

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd get the EGR Cooler checked...... It won't be in the oil if it's the EGR Cooler..... don't drive it much.......

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
If the EGR cooler is failing and being 2 gallons low on coolant, I'd be suspect of a ruptured cooler. Easiest way to confirm it is to pull the EGR valve. If the valve has a black tar gummy look to it, then the EGR cooler has failed.