Radiator: flush or replace with plastic spare

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the rad in the truck needs a good flushing, the inside is pretty gooped up and altho she's not overheating I figure it's just a matter of time. My truck came with a spare radiator from a 93 that is pristine inside but is plastic, meaning the frame is plastic. I've heard lots of crap talk about the plastic rads, but I don't do enough driving for it to be a problem I think, only hunting and trips to the dump.
What what does the hive mind think? Swap the current with the plastic, or flush the current and get the crap out?

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive found that if you use the radiator repair kits that have an epoxy base, those repairs are generally permanent. Used them on the ranch and they didnt leak. can also use them on the fuel tanks. But first take your rad to the shop and see if its salvageable... a good rodding out of the tubes , plus a swim in the acid vat may be all she needs. good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Just fyi, it's the tanks that are plastic. No frame really, but some are in a steel frame or aluminum.
Personally I would dilute some CLR, cap off the radiator ports, then slosh it around. If it leaks, it leaks. You could try the spare one, but they like to leak around the crimps on the tank when they get some age.
If it's not overheating, you may just leak it alone. Maybe do a whole system flush, new coolant and call it a day.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk