Radiator Cleaning Question

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
This is not your typical radiator cleaning question, so this is why i am asking......

I just picked up a "new" radiator for the 92. The reason I have new in quotes is because it is not new out of the box new, but it only has about 300 miles on it. This was in a 94 IDI-T that popped a head gasket and allowed oil to enter the coolant (wasn't the oil cooler, it was a fresh rebuild). So, what came out was a nice black liquid mix of oil and coolant. It was NOT a milkshake, it was still liquid....

My question, what would be the best way to clean out this radiator before I install it in the 92. I did a recent flush and fill with Zerex Z-05, so I don't want to just install it and get the oil throughout the "clean" cooling system on the truck.

Do I lay it down and put Dawn and water in it, and slosh it around and let it soak for a bit, or something else? Main thing is I don't want to oil contaminate the truck, the new coolant and the new hoses.....

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the Dawn approach: "It takes grease out of your way"

I'd soak it with some dawn and hot water, then hose it the way it normally flows, maybe repeat with the opposite direction, they let it dry, or if you are in a hurry, dry it with compressed air or maybe the exhaust from a gasser idling.

Then fill with proper distilled water, coolant, SCA additive, etc.

Good luck

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We use purple power poured in it. Let it set a day or so then blow it out with our air and water bazooka.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We take the tip out of our steam cleaner, stick it in the radiator while its standing upright, zip tie the trigger open and go do something else. Come back and its boiled/washed all the crap out.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple green actually works very well... And washes out nicely. I like it cuz if by some off chance a little bit remains in the radiator, won't be an issue for the motor and will actually float to the top of the radiator and usually go through the overflow to the expansion tank.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And you can just drain it into the gutter and not worry about it cuz it's all natural! Makes disposing of it much easier!!

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always just pay to have it done. I just had mine cleaned, tested and a few spots fixed for $45.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always just pay to have it done. I just had mine cleaned, tested and a few spots fixed for $45.

Dang that's cheap! I've never heard of it being anywhere close to that cheap. Honestly it makes me question how well they cleaned it....

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are on the cheaper side but it isn't that far off from the other local shops. They do good work. I've never had issues, been taking rads there for years. It isn't as expensive as you might think.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well cool lol. Around here the shops won't do it for that cheap. But then again, in my town theirs like 1 actual mechanic shop, and they are CROOKED.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
What kind of radiator? Stocker or an aluminum?

It's an aftermarket plastic tank/aluminum core replacement

Also, I'm aware of the opinions of this type of radiator, but the one in the truck now holds coolant about as well as a funnel. So this ones is far better than the one I have. It isn't going to be worked hard.... maybe a 1500lb trailer or some stuff in the bed. If I need to tow something heavy, the 6.0 Excursion will get the job.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the simple green idea. I should have said a "low tech" option. I don't have a power washer or steam machine.

I'm actually hoping there's not much left in there anyway, there is no milkshake that I could see in the system. This actually came out of 3Kp's truck. I saw the bucket of coolant and the radiator hoses and they were clear of any milkshake.

I may grab a jug of simple green and let it soak for a day or two. Do I use it full strength or dilute it? I will rinse it out we'll with a garden hose.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If simple green doesn't get all of it out then I wouldn't worry about what's left. Anything stronger than that would worry me with that radiator