Radiator advice?

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to bring up a dead topic, but my truck’s radiator is starting to leak, the radiator looks worse for wear, and summer is approaching. In SC the summer temps are typically 90+ so I’d like to replace it with an aluminum rad. Champion has a 3 core and 4 core for the application. I don’t tow heavy and typically haul stuff in the bed at construction sites. So which rad would be my best option? I also plan on adding an intercooler and of course a new temp gauge. Thanks guys!

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a champion 3 row rad in my f250 when I owned it. Never got hot and worked quite well. Currently got a champion on my Jeep yj and all is well with not even the slight hint of it ever overheating.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback, just read through some of the old radiator threads and wanted to see if y’all still back the 3 rows.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed a champion 3 row in mine. Haven't had a real running test yet just a couple miles testing the transmission ops. Also fabricating a guard for it since I took out the a/c condenser don't want it getting damaged.

The brass/copper I took out was 4 row but the passages in the champion look larger so may flow better and cool just as good..

If you go with it make sure to test fit the shroud before you install it. Had to modify some of the holes to make it fit.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My champion 3 row is currently in the scrap pile. Same issue as the majority of people have with them: header cracked off the tank, on all 4 corners. Leaked like a sieve. I’m back with the original radiator after a nice acid flush. Like brand new now. And no leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll definitely heed that warning, apparently champion will send a new rad if there’s a defect. But just in case I won’t throw the old rad away.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/champion-radiators-for-the-idi.61215/
If ya feel like reading, here is the thread I started on the Champion radiators way back when, and updated with my somewhat less than positive experiences more recently. I should update the thread, as the new 3 row Champion I put in the truck is holding up -thank goodness! I got sick of removing and installing all those radiators! From my experiences, I have concluded that the 4 row core Champion radiators aren't brazed as strongly as the 3 row core Champion radiators.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/champion-radiators-for-the-idi.61215/
If ya feel like reading, here is the thread I started on the Champion radiators way back when, and updated with my somewhat less than positive experiences more recently. I should update the thread, as the new 3 row Champion I put in the truck is holding up -thank goodness! I got sick of removing and installing all those radiators! From my experiences, I have concluded that the 4 row core Champion radiators aren't brazed as strongly as the 3 row core Champion radiators.
Thank you! I’ll definitely read the trials, I believe I asked you about your lift springs and then had my own problems with them... but that’s just the TTB woes.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to put this out there. I believe two 1" rows cools better than three or four smaller rows. I have this "American Eagle" by champion in my truck. I tow heavy in hot weather and have had zero problems keeping cool. http://www.championradiators.com/American-Eagle-Ford-F-series-diesel-radiator-shroud-1983-1994

I’ve heard some people freak out about the 2 row radiators, but nobody I believe has actually ran them. The logic sounds grounded, like more flow and room for liquid to cool at a faster rate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01