Race Truck Options

Which route should the race truck take first?

• Street/Strip Capable

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Race only setup

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I’d like to hear y’all thoughts on where to go with the race truck, I would be happy with either way it could go.

I could keep the truck street legal with a full cooling system, but it would be a lot more weight to race with and would be more cost that could be going towards performance. Benefit would be the truck could be street driven to shoes etc.

The alternative is I could go full race truck with no coolant, stripped down trying to get into the 4800 lb class. The truck wouldn’t see any street use but would likely have room for another hundred horse and a thousand pounds less weight.

I can’t be upset with either option, excited for this build. Let me know what y’all think. There’s a poll if y’all want to vote on what you like.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I voted street/strip. I can see the allure of going full race however.

My .02. Street will allow you more shakedown ability to find the weak links in the chassis without needing a dedicated place for testing initially.

Once you've got it solid in the launching department and are approaching it being unstreetable progress into a race only truck.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good points all around, the way things go if it’s street or dedicated race build will really determine how I do the suspension. If I go the street/strip route it will have a sterling 10.5 with ladder bars and race setup would probably have an 8.8 or a 9” with a 4 link.

The race setup could still probably be street “legal” but would be limited to 10-15 minute drives at a time because of the lack of cooling system. So still would be able to do some testing on the street and give people joyrides, just wouldn’t be doing events like drag week which has always been a goal for me.

There will always be more projects for me, I’ve got a dentside that would make a great street truck/ resto mod.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
how are you going to put all those new diesels to shame if you cant trounce them on the street!

strip vehicles are fun but it is not the same holding up your ticket to a mall crawler to prove your truck is faster. it is more fun to show them your receding tail lights LOL

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im going full race on this.
pointless to have a street strip truck. that's what daily drivers are for!!lol
slated for this beast is a 800 hp DT360 and a powerglide

You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've been mean enough to the shop truck lol. My vote depends. If it's going to be IDI as I assume then do track only. It will give you a platform to really push the limits like you have been with the shop truck.

If it's not an IDI... Don't bother :p

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d go race only.

I don’t know if this is relevant or not but I used to be into four wheeling (jeeps). If I ever got back into it I would have a trailered rig. No worrying about setup to go from street to track. (Air down tires, sway bars, shock settings etc). And no worries if you break your rig several hours from home.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shop truck has always done a good job of embarrassing black smoke lovin’ bro dozers, it’s walked many a 24v 5.9 or duramax on wheels that cost more than my engine. It will continue to always do that, the race truck is going to be strictly for setting records, finding limits of parts and pushing the IDIs further into modern diesel performance levels.

Trust me I love driving bonkers fast vehicles on the streets, just driving the shop truck as a daily on the street with its turbo, intercooler piping and nitrous solenoids sticking through the hood made regular monotonous errands something different. Just last week I was behind a bus full of elementary school kids and they were all sticking their heads out the windows trying to get pictures of the truck and trying to get me to rev the engine up. It’s the little things like that just make the experience of driving something different on the street priceless.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Trust me I love driving bonkers fast vehicles on the streets,
I can understand this one. I know it's old and not too impressive by today's standards, but I still ride a 1993 Kawasaki ZX11 Ninja. It was the quickest, fastest factory bike from introduction until the Suzuki Hayabusa came out in 1997. It's still got PLENTY of power to easily lose my driver's liscence and outrun at least 90% of thee other motorcycles on the road around here. Of course, it will go by the wayside after I get my new, old Gold Wing going. My knees just can't stay bent that much, for long enough to ride the Ninja very far.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online