Questions project 6.9 idi copper washers

Nolan

Reaction score
I bought this truck and replacing old parts so it runs better. I'm new to this forum I'm changing injectors all came out, 6 I had to screw back into because of the build up around them. Now I'm having issues with the copper washers iv cleaned it out and sprayed wd40 in there its bin 48 hours of trying. With picks iv read on here use a screw driver, one came out fine the next iv tried tapping it and everything but it wont loosen up now the center is shredded and I dont want to go any farther with that. What do I do?
You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all glow plugs in and the injectors out, crank the engine over and see if the pressure pops the washers out. You can also take a 3/8 drill bit and twist it into the washer by hand and use that to pull them out.

Nolan

Reaction score
I marked the pump so I can put it back together easy as long as I dont crank the engine over. I took a old glow plug, pulled it appart jb welded it into a collar so I can screw it into the engine and have bin using a air compressor for positive air to keep everything from falling in the engine. Will a drill bit work even know iv worn the lip on the washer away?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did you remove the pump? You can crank an engine over without the pump in and it won’t affect your timing. Try the drill bit and see if it catches

Nolan

Reaction score

The seal under was leaking so it was easier to remove everything as one. I will try the drill bit

Nolan

Reaction score
It worked for the concerning one. the seat looks good under. I'll continue trying to get the other 4 out.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The seal under was leaking so it was easier to remove everything as one. I will try the drill bit
:shocked:

It's going be a pain to get your gear timing correct. Really should not take the IP gear cover off with the gear. You can't see the timing marks to get the IP gear timed with the cam and crank gear.

Heath

Nolan

Reaction score
I used paint marker and marked where it needs to sit, should be able to see the Mark's if you zoom in on the picture

Nolan

Reaction score
Smh idk what that stands for. It had to come off either way the guy before me sealed it with silicone and it was leaking so I'm resealing it when I put it back together so killed two birds with one less step

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t worry about it, the gear is going to be tricky getting it lined up right, and you may need to pull the timing cover to get it just right but we’ll cross that bridge later.

The gear cover is siliconed on from the factory, there is no gasket there. As far as getting the copper washers out and the bores cleaned for the new injectors to go in, I have a tech article that details the process and some tips to making the job a bit easier. It’s called “removing your idi injectors”

If the seat is damaged on any of the bores I have a factory injector bore reamer tool that I rent in case you need it.

Nolan

Reaction score
Iv read your article before I used the grinding threads off the injector to screw back into the bottom half. Iv tried the screw driver and pick, the bores are clean but washers are stuck in iv sprayed wd40, the injectors were very over torqued. Should I switch to a penetrating oil or is there something good for breaking down carbon? I'm sure in time they will come out with enough soaking.

Nolan

Reaction score
How bad for seats should I be using a reamer to clean them up

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s pretty rough looking, but it looks like a lot of crud is soft material likely carbon. You need to have the bore perfectly clean, a wool brush for a 12 gauge with some wd40 will pick up the last of it pretty well. If it doesn’t clean up I’d use the reamer.