Questions about the rear main on my 318

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Also I recommend replacing the oil pump while you are in there, as you will have to remove it too. It's only like $35, get the high flow pump.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
oil pump should be fine then. with only that many miles on it she should be fine as long as you have kept up on oil changes. But yeah replacing the rear main isn't that ******* an "A" series engine I actually like the old A series very simple to work on - $$$ to get power out of them compared to a Bowtie but easy to work on. Love the shaft mounted rockers in a stock engine - slap them on and roll.... onoy bad thing is the bushing for the distributor drive wears out and it's not all that fun to reach while the engine is installed. but that's another story.... at 70 miles it's getting about time for that bushing to wear and allow slop in the timing....

Reaction score
I did not know about the bushing issue. once I get this undersdie of the truck put back together I will gather information on that bushing.

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
oil pump should be fine then. with only that many miles on it she should be fine as long as you have kept up on oil changes. But yeah replacing the rear main isn't that ******* an "A" series engine I actually like the old A series very simple to work on - $$$ to get power out of them compared to a Bowtie but easy to work on. Love the shaft mounted rockers in a stock engine - slap them on and roll.... onoy bad thing is the bushing for the distributor drive wears out and it's not all that fun to reach while the engine is installed. but that's another story.... at 70 miles it's getting about time for that bushing to wear and allow slop in the timing....

Oil pump will be fine at 70k. Never heard about the busing though - I've got 150K on mine and never had any timing issues.

Reaction score
I had the original rope seal in it. It came out with out an issue. However, I found a lot of sludge in the pan and the oil pump was glogged with hard sludge.Plus, the oild pump was bad. I could not get it to spin when assembled. I had to get a new pump and now it pumps oil fine. that is when I found a new problem. I have no idea how this engine survived with that bad pump. Now that oil is circulating, it is coming out everwhere. I had a bunch of new leaks all of a sudden. I have to pull the inatke, valve covers, and timing cover. Plus, I cannto get the truck to stay running. I will correct that when I pull the carb and go through it.