Question about ignition/column issue.

Reaction score
I have an 88 F250 IDI. I have had some trouble starting it. it sounded like a bad connection. I flipped the ignition a few times until it caught and the truck started. I was planning to address it when I finish working on the wife's F250. Now both trucks are down.

I tried to start the truck yesterday. When I turned the ignition I felt something give. The cylinder turns freely with no resistance. All the accessories come on but the truck will not start. I thought the cylinder broke. The old one came out with no problem and looks great. The new one went in with no problem but did not fix the issue. I am pretty sure I broke something in the column. I have never dug into a column from this model or year. It looks like I have to go through the steering wheel to access what ever is broke. Any ideas or input on this?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search on here ...
There is a rod down to the electrical switch part, it likes to fail.
Also some effing part behind the cyl.(keyswitch part) that goes out.
It pops loose or some chitt.
I had the same issue with my 88.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Could be ignition switch. It connects to that rod that goes down the column.
To drop the column on a '90 pull trim off. Two bolts hold it up. 5 bolts go to fire wall. Two elect plugs. Steering shaft will just slide apart. I can have it out in 9 min but ive done it a few times :mad:

Then you can see the ignition switch box is mounted on the top of the steering column. About 2/3 down. Like $10 to replace. Could be something in there crapped out or it can slide up and down to calibrate to the key switch