Putting new fuge together

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I have a new fuge kit from pa biodiesel. Instead of using the 55 gallon drum I’m hooking to a 275 gal home heat oil tank. I have the tank gonna stand on end. I have the 1/2hp motor with Dayton pump. Question: can I use this pump to pull the oil up to the top to the fuge, or is this a pull only pump? I’m having the fuge mounted on the end on top, so need about 5’ from the bottom. I’d like to place the pump/motor right behind the fuge and pull the oil up to it.

Will this cause damage?
Directions say never run pump dry. This kinda would for a couple seconds each time it’s turned on.
You must be registered for see images attach

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the pic you can see the pipe coming up from the bottom bung. This is how I’d like it plumbed and have the motor and pump on top like in the pic.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just realized if I made half a container at a time the fluid would rise half way up the stand pipe. So my lift is reduced to about 2’. Not sure it it matters. And I wouldn’t ever make less than half a tank per batch.

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen that kind of pump before but it looks like a vane style one which won't suck very well and they score the pump housing out pretty quick when they are run dry ..... if you are really married to the idea of having it on top , i'd build a small tank (say 1/2 -3/4 gallon) and mount it above the pump with a tee fitting so that you can prime the pump before you turn it on.

clint bartels

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pumps from pabio are all gear based with a pressure regulator and couple simple seals.

Pump is very similar to a Chevy 350 oil pump but smaller in size.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hadn’t thought about a small priming tank. That might work. Looks like I will have about 1’ of vertical lift.
I just don’t have enough hydraulic line to mount the pump at the bottom. So I have to think of something for this project.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running now for first time. 4 hours in with 50 gallons of oil. I’ve cleaned it once. Cleaned out about 1/4 cup.

I did move the motor and pump down low.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m sure some might notice my tank is NOT heated.
I’m cold centrifuging. It’s 55gal WMO, 55gal diesel, 10gal RUG. Kinda figuring this out as I go. It’s been warm outside so this is working.

clint bartels

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have an issue in winter just wrap your drum in insulation and saran wrap. Like so. But mine is heated. Even with the heater off though it will build to ~100F.

20171218_135512-jpg.113473

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have an issue in winter just wrap your drum in insulation and saran wrap. Like so. But mine is heated. Even with the heater off though it will build to ~100F.

20171218_135512-jpg.113473
I have everything with my kit to make it like yours. But with 3 people using the product I thought I’d try a larger tank. But heating this will take more wattage than a 1500 watt band. I might have to back down to a 55 gallon drum like yours.

clint bartels

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if you insulate yours with a 1500w heater it should be more than enough but if your un insulated.... Its like pis**** into the wind wile running for your life.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve insulated around the tank. I also have an insulated top that cannot be seen in the pic. Also I have a cover to drape over the top to help hold heat while it runs. I have my heat band around the bottom, and temp probe is off on the side. Have a little non insulated area at the top above where the full line will ever be. Gonna start another 100 gallon batch and see how it works today.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is after 4 1/2 hrs of run time on 100 gallons mixed 50/50 plus 10 gal of gas. It’s a whole cup for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller