PULLIN 6.9 4SPD AT FAIR NEXT WEEKEND WHAT GEAR?!

SmokeNPoke

Reaction score
GOT A 6.9 4SPD MANUAL, PUMPED TURNED UP, WITH 4.10'S ON 35'S, WHAT GEAR SHOULD I LET ER EAT IN?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Probably 3rd low range. That's what I pulled with when 4.10'd 4 spd, but I didn't have 35's, was running just under 32's, so that might make you want to pull in second. I'd try a couple dry runs (no sled) and see how it gets rolling in either gear, maybe even try 2nd high range. Mine seemed soft in 3rd low but once moving worked really well, it got rolling, then started to come up on RPM's just as it needed to as wheel spin was less of an issue.

Good luck and have fun!

SmokeNPoke

Reaction score
sweet action, im pretty pumped to see how it works out, just gotta find gear and let er eat

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
And DON'T try to shift! lol...doesn't work. That being said, check the rules, most places will allow you to restart your pull if you don't break their minimum pull line, usually like 60 feet, but I've found it's different at different places.

I'm assuming you are not turbo'ed.

SmokeNPoke

Reaction score
oh trust me I know not to shift, ive seen my brother do it and didn't workout, and no im not turboed and most of our fairs allow us to restart if we don't make under 100 I believe

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Yeah, 100 is normal, but many are different. I too am non-turbo, so everything other than tire size (and the fact I'm a dually) make it about the same. I no longer have the 4.10's, but did when I pulled at a local fair after being ribbed into doing so! lol Truck pulled better than I expected, but of course was just for fun from my end...knew it would never pull with the other turbo'ed and tuned trucks.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
One other thing, if you haven't pulled and it starts hopping, do yourself a favor and take away the feed pan...nothing good will come of a good bite following a hop...seen a pretty new dodge **** the whole drive train following a wicked few hops followed by grabbing hold...spit the drive shaft out after busting the transfer case/transmission juncture and destroyed the drive shaft.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
find a sturdy tree, hook to it and try starting in different gears. this is what I did and found mine liked 2nd low. couldn't start spinning in third.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
at the time I had 3.55 gears and 36 inch hmmv tires. but I also have a np435 trans so gearing is a little different. also a 205 case so low isn't as low as a bw case.

SmokeNPoke

Reaction score
well not too bad for poppin both mine and trucks cherry, 235ft started in second and let er eat

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Low range? Good job!

I want to pull mine again with the 3.73's and the limited slip rear end! I think it would make a big difference, and pull in a stock truck class (well, they won't let me pull stock class, but I'd like to pull with a stock weight transfer). That weight box looks like it is gonna run you over in the 9500 Unlimited class! lol Where they snuck me in a second time!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I guess my distance post didn't show up...I pulled like 180 first go and then just over 100 (like 108) second time when we did a little tuning and they snuck me in between the big tractor classes! The track at this particular fair seems very short and has no run out...but I'm sure it's just me, others seem to go like hell and stop inches from the end barricade! lol