PSD Engine Warm Shut Off Issue: No Codes

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've been throwing some preventive maintenance parts at my PSD for a couple months now without much success, so I'm going to put my tail between my legs and ask for some help. I'll try to summarize what I've done so far in hopes somebody thinks of something I haven't thought of yet.

My truck is a 1996 Powerstroke, totally stock except for a TW Performance 6 position chip (I installed this to make the shift points nicer and I've never had it on anything but "stock" or "+40HP" position) and the big open air filter modification. The truck has a tick over 100K on it, and other than the trans being a little soft for the last 10K miles I've owned it, it's a pretty decent dually.

Over the last six months, it smoked heavily during cold starts, cleared up and ran fine when warm. It got worse and worse starting as the winter temps got colder, so around Christmas I decided that I'd swap to thinner oil to make it easier on my starter, and it smoked more on startup but seemed to run about the same. I stopped driving it as I try to keep the salt off of it over the winter months as much as possible, and I figured I'd put a set of injector orings in it to see if this helped the smokey cold starts. I used Alliant parts as it seemed like these were the best replacements. The old ones were a little hardened, I changed them all out, but didn't help much, and I parked it for about a month as it got cold and I got busy with the holidays. The next time I started it, I let it get warmed up and when I shut it off, it would start and run for about a second, and then shut off, like you turned the key off. If would do this as many times as you restarted it.

I figured maybe it was a bad IPR that was bleeding off too much pressure to fire the injectors when warm, so I rebuilt the IPR. It didn't look terrible (it was interesting that it didn't have a split backup ring on it, but it does now, again I used Alliant repair kit parts) but it didn't change anything and the warm engine shut off continued.

Then I figured I'd bite the bullet and buy a blue tooth adapter and take a look at the electronic data via Forscan. Nothing appears out of range, it never throws any codes, but the problem persists.

Last week I was convinced that maybe I had a bad TS Performance Chip, so I uninstalled it. No change, still shuts off when warmed up, no codes, etc.

If I had to guess, I'd say that maybe I have a bad ECU, but I'm getting tired of throwing parts at it so I figured I'd get some additional eyes and thoughts as I'm pretty used up and in reality there's way more diesel experience and insight on this forum than I have in my mushy brain.

All I know is that the engine starts cold, seems to run ok in the cold start "mechanical" start up mode, but something is killing it when it gets up to temperature. Something that doesn't give me any codes.

Let the input begin. I'm all ears at this point and I've got plenty of humble pie to serve myself for not figuring this out on my own, but I'll take any help I can get.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fought and fought with a buddys 02 PSD after I did an engine swap.
it would get up to temp, then die and not start again until it cooled down.
I finally gave up and sent the truck back to him.
he had a Ford tech come out, and it turned out to be the IPR.

another friend came over a few weeks ago, and the truck would randomly die.
but would fire back up.
that was a CPS.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The original problem of a smokey cold start sounds like glow plugs or the relay are bad.

Did the stalling occur after doing all the work?

How many miles have you driven the truck since changing the o-rings?

It can take a while to work all of the air out of the HPO system so maybe that i what's causing the stall?

You can also check the tin nut on the back of the IPR for tightness and the pigtail on both the IPR and ICP sensors. Get the truck running and start wiggling those connections to see if you can get a stall.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. I neglected to add a couple of things that I've already done:

1. I tested all the glow plugs and the relay when I had the injectors out. I inspected and tested the harness side of the glow plugs too. It starts cold just fine, which is kind of funny: it's runs better cold without any computer controls :)
2. I've had it running for hours at a time, there's no air in any of the HPOP or fuel side of the injection circuits as it has been run sufficiently to clear that.
3. I have buzz tested the injectors and they all passed.
4. I have run the KOEO tests and also got no issues found.
5. I have the OBD blue tooth adapter so I can run all the diagnostics available with Forscan, but I've never seen any codes or Check Engine light.
6. I totally agree with the IPR, ICP or CPS being a potential culprit. I kind of wish I'd have bought a brand new IPR, but I figured I'd rebuild it first. I also have a brand new CPS that I haven't installed yet as I have always heard that if the tach wiggles when you are cranking it, the CPS is good. I'm trying not to change too many things at once as that would "ruin the experiment" :)
7. I have recorded it running, but I'm not that sure of what I am looking for as I've never used Forscan before, but from what I can tell the sensors are measuring with throttle variation, which seems "normal", but again I don't really have any experience for a baseline. If anybody has any input for what I should be monitoring/recording with Forscan, I will be happy to try and post.

Thanks for the early responses. Brian, I feel better that you had something similar and gave up. Makes me feel like a real PSD mechanic got a little stumped with a similar situation, and as the saying goes: there's safety in numbers :)

Attachments

• start and stall then fueled start and stall.pdf
    145.5 KB · Views: 4

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get my sensors and stuff from riff raff, they have great prices on motorcraft parts.

ndnjames13

Reaction score
I had this very same problem and it was my CPS. Got it from international and now it runs great. To be clear I would be driving and when i would go anywhere near idle when hot it would just stall. sometimes it would start right back up sometimes it wouldn't

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had this very same problem and it was my CPS. Got it from international and now it runs great. To be clear I would be driving and when i would go anywhere near idle when hot it would just stall. sometimes it would start right back up sometimes it wouldn't

Thanks for the input. Was your issue directly related to the engine being warm or just completely innermittent? This issue is definitely every time the engine gets to operating temp, and again the tach needle does move when I'm cranking it, which is why I haven't put the new CPS on it (yet).

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Surprisingly I didn't already mention it.
Also try unplugging the icp sensor when it happens.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surprisingly I didn't already mention it.
Also try unplugging the icp sensor when it happens.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Already did that, ironically it was the only time I got the check engine light to come on.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if one of your injector o-rings is bad. It holds when the engine is cold but as things heat up it starts to leak pressure.

Or the IPR is bad and doesn't respond once it heats up. A scan showing IPR % and pressure would confirm this when it does shut off, high duty cycle and low psi would indicate a problem.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A scan showing IPR % and pressure would confirm this when it does shut off, high duty cycle and low psi would indicate a problem.

Thanks for the input. I attached a scan in posting #5 of this thread, take a look and tell me if you think this supports your IPR vs. Pressure theory, or if there's another input(s) you think I should monitor and post.