Project Queso

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome engine build
Thank you!

You think cerakote is durable to corrosion over time and general whoops impacts wrenching?
I've used Cerakote on other items in the past and have been pleasantly surprised with the protection it provides.
Worst case scenario in this application, it performs the same a spray paint, which I can live with.
It took a Norton Blaze disc to clean the product off the bottom corners of the block where I forgot to mask off for the battery grounds.
This project is an experiment, so I say why the heck not.

Guessing you didn't bake the block in $50 oven?
HAHA!! Nope. The block was done with C-187 Transfer Grey Air Cure. I've had good results with Cerakote's air cure products. Some say it's not a durable as the oven cure line, but the jury is still out for me.

Last edited:

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Received my Mechman alternator. Got it dropped on today and added and additional (1/0) ground wire.
All those fans will require some electrical beef.
Also beefed up the Chassis ground.
Positive lead (new 1/0) from the alternator will land in a new Fuse box that will be located on the passengers side fender.

You must be registered for see images attach

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fender Brackets blasted and painted. Core Support loosely mounted with proper 32.2mm mount stack height.

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting on parts... still...
Fans are two weeks behind now, for unknown reasons. Money has changed hands and I'm getting ghosted. Quite frustrating.
Needed some parts for my welder, same story.
There are other parts too, perhaps I'm too nice.

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have received the fans! (Mostly, they accidentally sent one incorrect one but I already have a tracking number for the replacement).
The "Print" for the fan shroud is with the fab shop, should get water jetted early next week.

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up the Hypermax "Intercooler Trans Tube". Boy is that thing nice. Salty for a tube, BUT you gotta pay for good engineering.
Routes from the Trans, around the outside of the engine along the top of the frame rail, then bends out over the fender liner. Fastens using a Valve cover bolt.
All sorts of room for activities down the "Hot" side of the tunnel.
The routing is about perfect. Now I have to figure out what dipstick fits it... Apparently Hypermax is on vacation till Monday.

Edit: Forgot to mention, Fab Shop broke their water jet. Should be fixed next week.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up the Hypermax "Intercooler Trans Tube". Boy is that thing nice. Salty for a tube, BUT you gotta pay for good engineering.
Routes from the Trans, around the outside of the engine along the top of the frame rail, then bends out over the fender liner. Fastens using a Valve cover bolt.
All sorts of room for activities down the "Hot" side of the tunnel.
The routing is about perfect.
Sounds nifty, pics please

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a tunnel, down from turbo pic.

I'm also putting 94+ AC components on rather than monkey with Acme to Quick connect adapters and less efficient, thicker, much harder to find condenser.
The only snafu I've run into, is the fact I made this decision AFTER I installed the new 93- evaporator. Decided the easiest fix was cut off the #6 and braze the correct #8 spring lock fitting onto the liquid line. Don't mind the socks.

To make room for the 6.0 transmission cooler, I removed, straightened, reversed and re-tacked the lower condenser mounts.

Finally I notched and touched up the core support for the intercooler.

More to come.

Last edited:

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
proper dipstick
I confirmed with Hypermax that the tube is intended to work with the standard factory turbo dipstick. That said, those are about as rare as hens teeth. I've got something brewing. If it turns out you'll all see it, if not I'll be begging here for one.

krogo

Lubię ser
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My "brew" has matured.
I never thought I'd end up with a Cummins part on my truck, but desperate times call for desperate measures.
Maybe I can park my truck in the Cummins Powered Only spots at work now.
2003 - 2006 Dodge 5.9L Cummins Engine Oil Dipstick (Blade style).
The stick itself is 44.5" long. The handle end plastic bit that sticks into the tube, is 1 inch long.

I chucked a chunk of brass in the lathe and turned this out.
This will get inserted into the "user" end of the dipstick tube with a bit of Loctite 638 Retaining Compound to hold it in place.
Small end OD is sized to fit the dipstick tube ID, in my case 0.665" and is 1/2" long. The larger OD matches the Tube OD, 0.75" and is 1" long.
The through hole is 3/8" drill, chamfered both ends.

The "protrusion", as expected, is exactly the same as the factory non-turbo setup. The only other thing I have to do yet is carry over the engraving from the factory dipstick.
I shall use an electric pencil engraver and just buzz the marks on.

It'll do pig.