Project Le Blanc

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to take much for pictures, only had a few hours to hammer out some work on this today. But got all the valvetrain lubed and assembled
You must be registered for see images attach

Double checked all my clearances and made sure all the studs cleared the rockers, it’s close but no grinding needed. Then media tumbled the intake while I put some mojo into the little .29” plunger 6.9 pump and got all that bolted in. I tested and installed all the glow plugs and injectors, new copper washers and viton o rings went in too. It’s getting close to a first fire on the test stand.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well after a bit of a fight I can say mission success, the idit head swap worked out and we got a good runner!

I got the engine setup on the stand and pressure tested the cooling system with the trucks radiator, come to find out it’s got a terrible water pump weep hole leak, wasn’t leaking when the engine was in the truck, but that’s how it goes. Drained the engine and pulled the pump off, shop manager says it’s definitely no good

Surprisingly not too pitted on the timing cover:

After swapping the new pump on, filled the system and pressure checked again. Now thermostat housing is seeping out the side. Pulled it off and decked the surface, it was clean but must not have been sealing perfect.

Replaced the gasket and finally holding pressure. Next I pulled the glow plugs out and started checking compression, while hooking up my fuel system and getting it primed.

As I checked each hole, I left the valve covers off waiting to see oil bubbling up to the rockers to tell me my lifters were pumped up. I got through testing each cylinder and priming the fuel system but never saw oil, but had solid oil pressure for cranking speed. Topped off the oil after it had filled the filter and empty cavities, then gave the pump power and started cranking for the first start. It became apparent quickly that it was gonna need some help starting with the low compression numbers (all between 210-270 psi with out lifters pumped up) so I used my heat gun in the intake trick to get a grid heater effect going.

After a couple cycles keeping the battery topped off and starter cool, she fired off. Didn’t want to idle right away but quickly started getting oil to all the rockers so I set the covers back on and fired it back up and she idled nicely. It was running on atf, so it’s a little choppy but it sounded healthy. I let it get up to temp while I watched oil level for any signs of other fluids getting in, and checked timing. Got it up to 210* and shut it down for a hot retorque for the head studs at 85 ft lbs. Every one of the studs moved, and I’ll be rechecking it in the morning when it’s cold, but just rechecked compression numbers now that the lifters are pumped up and the engine warm, happy to see numbers come up to 260 at the lowest and 340 at the highest. I’m sure it will improve as the engine runs a bit more.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evening everybody,

Just want to give a big shout out to Wes for his patience in our dealings! I’ve had many questions and concerns throughout this process and he’s remained approachable and professional entirely! As the days pass I’m definitely getting more anxious to get the truck back but I know it’s in good hands, getting the attention it needs!

;Sweet

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If I was to pay someone else to work on my truck, it would probably be him. After meeting Wes in person, I have every confidence in him.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I was to pay someone else to work on my truck, it would probably be him. After meeting Wes in person, I have every confidence in him.

I have no doubts that he’s done a stellar job of getting my truck where it needs to be with what my wallet would allow. I would’ve loved to go with a much stouter bottom end (he expressed his concerns also) but it just wasn’t in the cards unfortunately.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
with what my wallet would allow.
This is my biggest hold up too. That's why I don't post build threads. It may take several years to get something accomplished. It's going to take me two tries just to put a turbo on my engine.:( The closest I got was loosely fitting it and the crossover pipes onto my engine while on the cherry picker just to take pictures.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I don't post build threads. It may take several years to get something accomplished.

For the long time I was the same way. I update my "build thread" every month or two when I do something. It's helped a couple times with "how long ago did I actually replace that". It kills me that I haven't made any progress on my car all summer, but I still have a thread for it so when I do I can update it.

Just do it, if not for anyone else let me see your slow projects so I feel better :p LOL

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my biggest hold up too. That's why I don't post build threads. It may take several years to get something accomplished. It's going to take me two tries just to put a turbo on my engine.:( The closest I got was loosely fitting it and the crossover pipes onto my engine while on the cherry picker just to take pictures.

I honestly don’t think I would have a turbo on my truck if it hadn’t already had it when I bought it. Not because I don’t want it, but because I wouldn’t have been able to afford the add on. I’ll admit I felt like I found myself a gem when I learned about the turbo upon purchasing. I bought the truck on a whim, I knew it was an 86 Ford, that it ran and that it was diesel. Nothing more at the time.
I’ve learned a tremendous amount since then via some good ol wrench time, the help of the inter webs and ESPECIALLY this forum! I owe my gratitude to many.

Good luck with the turbo install! I haven’t been in a n/a 6.9 or 7.3 truck yet. Butt dyno probably wouldn’t even notice.

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last week my phone gave up the ghost and haven't been able to retrieve any of the pictures yet, so progress is taking a bit of a jump, but I may be able to later fill in the gaps...

After getting the trans bolted in I pulled off the wasted trans mount that was in dire need of replacement

Before sticking the engine and trans in, I reground all the donut flanges for the turbo kit, I took a bunch of pictures of how I use gear dye to make sure the flanges sit square on the manifolds for a tech article on how to fix boost leaks, but all that went with the dead phone, heres the piping ready for install.

Engine and trans on the hoist ready to go in, sensors for the coolant temp, boost and egt are plumbed in.

And engine set into place a few nights ago.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s where it is now, accessories are in, wiring is done and now working on plumbing. I replaced all the heater hoses and routed them away from all the electrical. When I installed the turbo kit I replaced the leaking oil pressure switch and relocated it to the top of the turbo to make it more serviceable than beneath the turbo. The harness was extended to reach the new location using some of my high temp loom.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wiring is done for the gauge, I installed it in place of the dead pyro so didn’t have to add any holes in the dash. All the sensors seem to be working properly, ran the engine for few minutes till it ran out of diesel, going to top off the front tank and top of the atf and take it for some tuning in the morning.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wiring is done for the gauge, I installed it in place of the dead pyro so didn’t have to add any holes in the dash. All the sensors seem to be working properly, ran the engine for few minutes till it ran out of diesel, going to top off the front tank and top of the atf and take it for some tuning in the morning.

I’m pleased with the look of the combo gauge. Especially that you were able to utilize the location of the old pyro.

I’ve never flipped the fuel tank selector switch since I’ve owned the truck. That’ll be something we address in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online

No members online now.