Project Big Red

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For controling that fan you can find the pwm signal for 3 speeds, a low/high off a switch and mid speed for with a/c on. I am using a bmw 61311378073 14mm dual temp switch with my sho e-fan, it is 195.8 f low and 210.2 f high. I drilled and taped the coolant bridge for it, it is the one on the right.

You must be registered for see images attach

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you not have a shroud? That'll make a big difference too. Nice work! How'd you get the adapter? It's a nice peice.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some thinking and came up with this. Say this is the controler you are to use

Pwm controler

It controles the duty cycle of the signal off the resistance of a variable resistor. So came up with this to give three set points instead of the use of a variable resistance. High is going to be 100%, so that is 5v. As for mid and low that is to be determine what desirable percent is to be, set those by changing the value of the resistors. This might give you some thought on something you could do.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you not have a shroud? That'll make a big difference too. Nice work! How'd you get the adapter? It's a nice peice.
Yes there is a shroud. If you go back a few posts, you’ll see it. I just left the top off to watch and make sure it’s running true.

As for the bushing, I drew it up and had it machined so now I have a CAD model.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes there is a shroud. If you go back a few posts, you’ll see it. I just left the top off to watch and make sure it’s running true.

As for the bushing, I drew it up and had it machined so now I have a CAD model.
Soooo... How much ?? PayPal ready :)

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.4 clutch is a electric/viscous clutch correct?

Can the stock idi clutch have the spring moved to make it engage earlier/lower temp?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can the stock idi clutch have the spring moved to make it engage earlier/lower temp?
Yes sir. I've read about it, I think the spring expands with heat so it would be turning counter-clockwise. So I guess you'd pull the spring out and turn it 1/2 turn clockwise so there is more pre-load CCW. This may be way overkill as far as the adjustment though...

Making sure the pin is rotating freely is job #1 I reckon. Penetrating oil and some pliers after it sits a while. Just a 1/4 turn back and forth

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s been a while… again… LOL

I’ve been suspecting my batteries were going south on me for a while. I noticed that the volt gage wasn’t recovering at all after the glow plugs then it was really struggling to turn over. I tried charging them. Nada. So out they come.

Who was the ******* that thought putting them under the truck was a good idea??

Anyway, a smoking credit card and a trip to town later, I put two fresh group 31’s in it. Night and day difference. Glow plugs, no block heater 25 F and it popped right off. It was either 5 or 6 years literally to the day since I put them in. I guess it was time. It sits a lot. I need a battery tender on it I guess. Hard to believe it’s been a running driving vehicle now since 2017.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@homelessduck
Soooo... How much ?? PayPal ready :)

I’ve considered having them made once I have enough test mileage to feel good about it. If there is interest, I would consider it. Unfortunately, the prototype places that do small runs have gotten really pricey of late. From the use I first got one 3D printed for fit check till I had the steel parts made the price more than doubled. I was unhappy.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So yes, people have done that. I’ve tried it. I finally came to the conclusion that there’s not enough air going through the stack to heat the spring and get it to engage. I’ve done IDI clutch with big fan and it doesn’t come on until way too late. It’s all about the air flow as a wise man told me in Michigan.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I did some digging a while back and found out the "severe duty" version of the clutch is supposed to kick in sooner. I bought the one below, and I have to say it definetaly kicks in sooner/more often than the "standard" one it replaced.

Here is what Hayden says about fan clutches, Standard, vs Heavy, vs Severe Duty: https://www.rockauto.com/genImages/93/haydenSD-HD-SVRD.pdf

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What on/off controller are you running ? And how did you wire it to the 6.4 fan clutch ?

Attachments

• 9AE34CEF-5B50-4BBA-8B57-5938C23A2D56.jpeg
    9AE34CEF-5B50-4BBA-8B57-5938C23A2D56.jpeg
    315.5 KB · Views: 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online

No members online now.