Project 1997 Parts truck

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Calipers

Cleaned up a set of calipers that I had sitting around. It's amazing what a little wire wheel love and a bit of paint can do. I used Tremclad Aluminum paint. I think it turned out great!

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i grabbed my wire wheel and my front calipers about a month back.
my right arm is still recovering from my bumper build...

hit the caliper with the wire wheel and it ripped the grinder out of my handicapped hand

went to the store and got new ones, then painted LOL

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Plug not included.

Heh, my shoulders were sore after the wire wheel session. I clamped my drill in the vice and took the piece to the wheel. It worked for me.

So today, I figured I would try to start the truck. Cleaned up the coolant overflow bottle and hooked up all the coolant lines. Poured coolant in. After the second jug was in I heard dripping noises. Uh oh. The rad was ******* out the coolant near the bottom. Doh!

Oh well damn the torpedoes! I just won't run it long without coolant and deal with the radiator later. Got the fuel pump wired up temporarily because I'm not sure if I want to wire in a manual override switch for the fuel pump. Finally connected the flexible fuel lines between the engine and the frame.

Connected up my third string batteries and the jumpered up the motor home battery too. Battery charger got hooked up too. At this point, I just want to build oil pressure. After about 4 cranking sessions, I notice a dark pool forming under the transmission. ***? It's motor oil. Hmm, I expected it to be cleaner. It coming from up top somewhere. Pedestal o-rings? Did I forget to put them in when I mocked up the engine? Turbo has to come off again. Sigh...

Found the problem. The pedestal comes with a 1/8 hole for an oil pressure gauge? Plug not included. I missed that. Rookie mistake.
:rolleyes:

Grabbed a plug from the old pedestal and installed it.

Installed pedestal with new o-rings since I had them on hand anyway. Installed turbo again. I'm getting pretty good at this. :p

Cranked again to build oil pressure again. Disconnected the Injection Pressure Sensor since it is suspect. (Oil in connector). Gave it a shot of ether ( Glow plug relay is disconnected) and after some more cranking it sputtered to life! YES!!! Shut it down and ran to get the camera woman to share it with you guys

https://youtu.be/275pjZt9pHM

The battery died in the camera. :p

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm not real sure of the purpose for that port.
Hpo system probably has some air in it. About the only way to get it out is some hard freeway runs.
I still have my pump hooked to a switch inside. But it's to a key on source, so normally left in the on position, unless I'm just listening to the radio. Eventually I'll change it to a run only position. Lol
If the radiator needs replaced, look into the mishimoto. They seem quality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Maiden voyage

Found the hole in the radiator.

I borrowed the rad from the green truck. :rolleyes:

Installed the pyrometer gauge, manual fuel switch, and boost gauge. The boost gauge is not in its final home. I need to get a Pillar gauge holder.

The glow plug relay is suspect, and the truck wouldn't start with the glow plugs. So, I fired it up with a shot of ether and let it idle. It smoothed out pretty quickly. By the time I got the fluids topped up and tires aired up, it still wasn't up to operating temp, but it was sounding good.

I took it for a little test drive to see if everything was going to be ok. The clutch is kind of stiff with a slow release at first, and then it really wants to go! I'm not happy with it, but I know the pressure plate fingers were quite worn and the clutch fork was worn lopsided. I put weld on the fork and reshaped it. Maybe it's the pedal assembly?

I also had a couple of grindy shifts. With 364K Km, its probably due for a rebuild, or at least synchros.

The self-cancelling turn signal is broken. It's amazing how much I rely on them to self cancel after a turn. Definitely a pain in the @ss, not having them.

It's got a loud voice, with a noticeable turbo whistle. The 4" downpipe exits under the cab. I do plan to put on a 4" exhaust system to the back. I have it, I just need to install it. The loud exhaust gets old real fast, but for now, I'm just going to enjoy it.

I managed to hit 14 lbs boost easily, with EGTs hitting 1146 when I glanced at it. The gauge's blue warning light came on. Hmm, I wonder what the default alarm setting is? I backed out of it when the big tires started wobbling. Maybe out of balance. Or probably needs front end parts replaced. I had to replace the front end part on the Red truck.

Some pics just before sunset.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Nice.
May have missed it, what brand is the Pyro?
For the clutch, check out the pedal box bushings.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Front bumper adjustment

Thanks for looking that up for me 79jasper!

I adjusted the front bumper. It was too low and it seemed to be sagging at the back. My OCD would have no part of that, so I raised it up and shimmed the top out on the drivers side.

Currently, doing battery maintenance. Cleaned them up and topped the cells with distilled water and put the first battery on the new CTEK MUS 4.3 charger in recondition mode. It already rejected one of my spare batteries. :( These are my second string batteries, not third string as previously stated.

This new charger is going to get a workout over the next few days!

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also had a couple of grindy shifts. With 364K Km, its probably due for a rebuild, or at least synchros.

Try pennzoil syncromesh before rebuilding the transmission.....amazing stuff for any manual transmission

(I know that Ford calls for ATF which is bunk)

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Picked up some goodies.

Found some parts on Kijiji:

Engine from a 1995 F-250. It has 395K Kms. Pulled because of diesel fuel in the coolant. Needs a water pump too.

Dual Mass Flywheel, good clutch disk & pressure plate

PCM with 6 position chip.
Supposedly,
1 factory
2 fast idle
3 + 50 hp
4 + 75 hp
5 + 125 hp

Front fuel tank

Headlight enclosures

Rear Bumper
Front Valence
Instrument Panel trim
Windshield Washer fluid bottle

That last item I was really thrilled to get. It was the last part I needed to complete the truck.
Did I say complete? cookoo

I can get the rest of the donor truck for free. I just have to haul it away. It's 4x4 with 4.10 gears. But I have no space for it. This is killing me.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sounds like it needs injector cups. Not too big a deal.
Looks pretty clean.
Water pump looks like a parts store special.
I believe the MC all have the separate removable inlet.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Engine stand

Built an engine stand out of some of that crap sawdust board salvaged from the back alley. Whenever I see big chunks of plywood or planks that people are throwing out, I collect it. Comes in handy sometimes. :)

Had to cut a notch for the dipstick tube receiver.

Test fitting with a 2003 PSD oil pan.

Had to widen the hole for the 1995 PSD. Ford moved the dipstick tube receiver on the 2nd gen PSD.

It took the weight of the engine...so far. I still have the engine on the chain hoist as a safety measure. Really, it just has to last a year. I'm waiting for Princess Auto to put the 1,000 lb engine cradle on sale again. They're due. :) This may be a good fixture for moving a 7.3 PSD engine.

Had to make a slight notch where the oil filter attaches. I never really noticed before, but even the oil pan rail has a bit of a notch in it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You see those things at the rear of the valve cover? The kinda staple shaped metal piece on the bolts?
Yeah, no one knows what they're for. Lot of speculation, but it's still a mystery. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86