Project 1997 Parts truck

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, Nice work!!! Looks good!!!!

Also, good buy on that 6.0 CAC and Piping. BTW - Those are an early set of pipes.... like 03-04.... in the later years of 6.0, they changed the CAC Piping to PLASTIC!!!!! :puke::puke::puke::puke:

Fortunatly, I have a 03, so my pipes are just like what you started with. I've seen many questions from people with the newer 6.0's ask where to get replacement plastic CAC pipes, as over time, with the heat, and the oil, (they do not use a CDR Valve, but there is a connection from the drivers rocker cover to the just before the cold side of the turbo, so it put the oil vapor into the intake air.... sound familiar?) the plastic ones get brittle, and tend to break if you mess with them.......

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Bellowed up-pipes

Oooo, look what the parts fairy brought:

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Nice. Which are those?
Also do you have the old obs turbo laying around?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Turbos galore

79jasper, I got the up-pipes off of ebay. Generic brand I guess. :dunno They are from JGCParts.com.

Yes, I have the old turbo. I fact, I now have a collection of OBS turbos, one has the Banks fast spool hot side.

The original turbo in the foreground, collection in background.

I think the Banks one is in the middle.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Was just curious. A lot of people like the dorman ones.

Wanna let one of those turbos go?
I really only need the shaft from one. I don't really know anything about the banks quick spool, but I already have a 1.0 housing for mine.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
79jasper, PM an offer.

For reference, I picked up the black one on the right from PnP. It was in an engine fire. Seems to be ok tho. Spins freely. I should check the condition of the o-rings between the turbo and the pedestal. That would probably tell me if a rebuild kit is in order. Anyway, with core charge and taxes, that one cost me just shy of $80. Of course right after I got that one, I found the other two on kijiji. $200. for the one on the left, and $250. for the banks one. I got them from a fellow 7.3 enthusiast here in Calgary. He is way ahead of me in terms of performance. I was buying his old crap. He was running 40 lbs boost and had 160 cc injectors with 30% bigger holes. And he was looking at upgrading!

Then this project came along. I went from 0 turbo spares to 4 in a matter of months. I swapped the impeller wheels on the turbo in the foreground if you recall.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Two steps forward, one step back

Took the turbo off again to replace the old up-pipes with the new bellowed ones. Hopefully, that is the last time that turbo comes off for a while.

New bellowed up pipes installed. The casting wasn't the greatest on the accumulator. So I attacked it with the dremel tool and quasi ported it. :D

The turbo is now back on, but here is a shot of the bellowed up-pipes.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
More CAC pipe modifications

So, after getting the CAC pipe fabbed up and on the truck I noticed the factory had the longer boots at the CAC end. I had taken the longer black boot from the hot side and put it on the spyder cold side for a better fit. I then used the short boot on the CAC hot side. Hmmm, the factory usually does things for a reason. So, I decided to follow what the factory did: use the longer boot on the CAC. That meant cutting a 2 inch section out of the hot CAC pipe. It also meant having to order another long boot from Ford. $80. for one boot. Ouch!

No problem. ********* boot on.

I wasn't happy with the other side either. The CAC pipe was too close to the battery tray; it was touching. :p
So, I cut it and reclocked it. This was a little trickier as the cut was at an angle on the elbow. I was cautious about cutting too much, and as a result had to cut it twice. Still no biggie, but it is a better fit now. It doesn't touch and it lines up better.

The radiator fins are now all straight. :) It also got a show to clean the dirt out of the lower fins. There was a lot of crap in there.
I don't have a picture, but I get one later.

Remember broken headlight? I JB-Welded it back together, and so far it's holding. Got the front grill assembly all together. Just need the bumper on to complete the front. I took enough pics to do a Tech 101 on headlight/header-panel removal replacement. I'll create another thread for that unless it's already been done.

Yes, I used the chrome headlight bezels with a non-chrome grill. :rolleyes: It actually looks ok because of the chrome trim over the wheel well. It's only temporary anyway, the non-chrome bezels will get painted along with the grill, but not now.

Bonus material:

Here's a shot of the signal light assembly in place without the headlight. I was just trying it out to see if I liked the mix of chrome and non-chrome. Looks kind of cool, and got me thinking...Is there enough room in there for a couple of small LED light bars? Hmmm....

Oh, and I got a second coat of gold paint on the CAC pipes. The CAC boot had to come from the USA. Should be here Friday. Pics soon.
Stay tuned...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
ive replaced headlights with lead before...
they never quite worked the same lol
I don't think lead would work very well either. Lol

While it can be done, I guarantee you'll get ticketed.

There's other options though. Lol

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Radiator after pics

Radiator with straightened fins:

Back

Front

Gold CAC pipes

With Ford part#. LOL

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Empty tank

It appears that this truck has been deep when 4x4ing. While under the truck, I noticed that the hose from the fuel filler to the tank was disconnected. Hmmm. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a lot of gravel between the front tank and the guard plate. Uh oh...I got a bad feeling about this.

Guard plate. Can you see the drain holes?

How about now?

Bottom of tank. I think I know why the gauge is reading empty:

I have a spare tank out of a 1988 F-250. It's in better shape. I'll change the sending unit out and clean it up and paint it.

So, after a going at the replacement tank with a wire wheel, I discovered a pin hole leak. Dang it! I may have to set this aside for a bit and just get this truck running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online