Progressive loss of power, non turbo

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
That solenoid looks funny. The left wire on the big terminal (bolt) is the wire going to the starter, when engaged. It is NOT capable of the current required to start a diesel motor. It should be at least 8 ga or bigger.
Dave Ben,

I too thought that and TNBrett straightened me out. The diesel fords have two starter solenoids. The one for the gasser on the fender well in the picture above. Then the starter has its own.

I think it was a way to make the trucks consistent at the factory. No changes to the starting system, just add a wire between solenoids.

TNBrett suggested the IH Starter needs more amps to start the solenoid so thus the second solenoid.

Who knows for sure but there are two of them! So minutemans 8g wire will do just fine.

BTW IDIBronco said Ford did that with some of the 460 engines too.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Dave Ben,

I too thought that and TNBrett straightened me out. The diesel fords have two starter solenoids. The one for the gasser on the fender well in the picture above. Then the starter has its own.

I think it was a way to make the trucks consistent at the factory. No changes to the starting system, just add a wire between solenoids.

TNBrett suggested the IH Starter needs more amps to start the solenoid so thus the second solenoid.

Who knows for sure but there are two of them! So minutemans 10g wire will do just fine. It is just feed power to the solenoid, the battery cable is suppling the big power.

Minuteman96

Reaction score
Dave Ben,

Who knows for sure but there are two of them! So minutemans 8g wire will do just fine.

Man the knowledge some of you guys have on these trucks never ceases to amaze me. Thanks to you and all the others here for the help and sharing of knowledge man. I gratefully appreciate it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online