Pro Diesels Reman Engines

los182

Reaction score
Has anyone on here ever bought an engine from Pro Diesels? Or know of anyone who has? Do they have a good reputation? They seem to have pretty low prices on reman IDI engines........

http://prodiesels.com/7-3idi/

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really never heard of them. Take a close look at pic 5 or 6.. See the coolant return and the lift pump on the drivers side of the engine.... Bet someone reversed the pic.... Can't get much past me... Added note.. the first few pics are a van application 6.9 engine ...

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Their "contract of sale" is more complicated than the last time I bought a house! Also I couldn't find on the website the shipping charges (who pays?) or where they're located (core engine has to be shipped back to them).

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
No chance I'd give them a penny!

Chosen excerpts from there CYA BS "contract of sale":

Any engines sent to be rebuilt or refurbished shall not be bound to ANY time frame irregardless of time and waives any rights of time limits set forth by any law of any state. Seller or builder will not be responsible for any delays in obtaining parts, building, machining, shipping, providing updates, providing shipping details or shipping delays.

Seller shall not be liable for any losses whatsoever

Seller shall not be bound by any agreement, whether **** or otherwise, or any other writing

Buyer may not assign any rights or obligations under this Agreement without prior written consent of an authorized corporate officer of Seller.

Reading it, I get this:
1) We don't have to ship you anything, ever, after you pay us, if we don't want to.
2) We don't give refunds, even if we send you a blown up block.
3) We don't know proper grammar. LOL
4) We don't accept responsibility for anything that happens.
5) No matter what we *say* the warranty is, it's 7 days on new, uninstalled parts we make. There is no warranty from us on reconditioned engines or anything else, even new parts.
6) if Joe Bob, our regular supplier, stops supplying a specific part, we aren't on the hook for your engine and you are out the money.

I'd run like hell from that place!

Edit: I'd rather buy a 1980's/90's GOPHER reman (knowing the issues with them)! :puke:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Take a close look at pic 5 or 6.. See the coolant return and the lift pump on the drivers side of the engine.... Bet someone reversed the pic.... Can't get much past me... Added note.. the first few pics are a van application 6.9 engine ...
I agree with the picture being reversed, BUT you're wrong with the van application. THAT is an International application. !, the medium duty flywheel and bellhousing give it away. 2, the CDR valve that isn't attached to the intake gives it away. 3, the water pump is ONLY for Internationals and uses studs and nuts like a gas engine to mount the cooling fan. 4, while the oil fill tube is the same as used on pre87 6.9's, notice how it's tilted to the side to make it easier to add oil in a medium duty truck. Anyone ever see and wonder what the extra holes in the oil fill tube are for? This is it. Yes they do show the oil fill tube in the upright position and the 7.3 style injector pump cover too. 5, did anyone notice the exhaust manifolds? one has a front exit while the other has a rear exit. International application. 6, how about that crazy water inlet that comes from the bottom of the radiator and has a fitting for another coolant hose. Again, International. 7, anybody ever wonder where they came up with the fuel filter mount for vans? This is it. You can't see it, but the oil cooler uses the same headers as vans do here. 8, how about the the crazy looking thermostat housing? International again. It's easy to confuse the two if you only go by the fuel filter mount and the oil fill tube. Another clue is the blue paint. All of the International application IDI's that I've seen have been painted blue. I can't be sure, but the head bolts look, to me, like the 1/2" ones used on a 7.3 engine. I admit, that may not be right, but my other observations are. One more thing that I forgot, there is also a short fitting for the heater hose on the water pump instead of the longer ones that out trucks have.

Last edited:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ps

Edit: I'd rather buy a 1980's/90's GOPHER reman (knowing the issues with them)! :puke:
Never heard of them we had Bonded and Sparten here. Bonded rarely ran past the warranty. Took 2 sparten long blocks to get me one that ran. It lasted 40k and the valves were junk.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After all the headache I’ve had with buying a rebuilt engine online and it being a piece of crap, I would personally rebuild what you have now....for a couple reasons.
It may be cheaper going that route depending on what shape your engine is in.
Also, a good machine shop will let you know if it’s a viable block to rebuild. A good machinist will also give you options on what you want to do with your engine. A simple overhaul or a full engine rebuild with all the bells and whistles.
Whereas a large engine remanufacturer will patch up a bad block to get it out the door to make a quick profit. They will do anything they can to send a pos non rebuildable engine to a customer to get their money’s worth.
Remember when they say “old core required after purchase. We will gladly accept engines with cracked blocks, cracked heads, and other internal damage”. Makes you wonder what your getting when you buy one.
To add, prodiesels paint jobs suck -Lame. Just my .02!

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"...and waives any rights of time limits set forth by any law of any state".

Anyone who thinks that their contract supersedes rights defined by state or federal law is a clown. If they're skittish about being locked in, just use the legal limit defined by the state the work is being performed in. Why would any other state law matter? Besides, interstate commerce law would apply if you're shipping an engine to them from out of state.

Anyone who is running a legitimate business should have been able to afford the $500-$800 for a lawyer to draw up a decent contract.

los182

Reaction score
I thought it smelled fishy, but you guys broke it down to the tee....... Thanks everyone for all the great input.

mclarkva

Reaction score
I sent them a company check for $2900 June 18, the check cleared the bank but nearly a month later still no engine. No tracking or pro number, repeat calls requesting status or proof of shipping...no return cslls. Requested 2 more motors and got a call back in 10 mins! Ready to sell me 2 more sent pictures claimed 1st engine is on dock in Nashville. I said great as soon as I get the first one to verify we'll move on to the next...they say they will ship another today since the first time got lost calling the truck it'll go out today...end of day still no tracking number. Called my lawyer...

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any company that forces you to accept the terms and conditions before actually getting to their website is one I would run away from.

mclarkva

Reaction score
!!!UPDATE!!!

As far as I can see They are fraudulent - - victims all over both East and West coast US maybe even out of the country.

There is an active criminal investigation ongoing. If you have had any problems with them or sent them money and you never got satisfaction contact the Tuscaloosa Police Dept. I have talked to the police department and they said its a real mess, people are getting nothing for weeks or months and right before criminal action the guys send something and revert it to a civil issue. One guy got a tractor trailer engine instead of an F350 engine - of course he cant use it but its delivery causes their criminal fraud of taking money with no intent of delivery to reduce to a civil dispute over product delivered. The police are frustrated they can't shut them down and more fools like me keep getting scammed. Ill keep up legal pursuit but i may never see refund...

They have also operated under different names John and Robert Hunter DBA Tuscaloosa Fleet Services, Tuscaloosa towing, as well as the current ProDiesels

They do not appear to have an engine rebuilding shop at all just a small shed and a camper trailer: If you have been affected please contact Tuscaloosa FBI and the Tuscaloosa Police Dept as continuing to scam people until enough of us complain to motivate State and/or Federal action

Last edited: