Pressure washing

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any concerns about pressure washing the engine and engine bay? Obviously I wouldn't hose down a hot engine, however are there any concerns of water damaging electrical components? Truck is a 2000 F250 PSD 6spd.

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cleaning a warm engine is good, hot is not good. The electrical parts, DO NOT hit them. Water can be forced in and do damage. Even sealed connecters can take in water under pressure. I know this because I did it. Power washed an engine, didn't think anything of it. Wouldn't run afterwards because i hit the tps and filled it with water. Stay away from electronics and connecters and you will be okay.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would pressure was oil pan, cross member etc, but i wouldn’t pressure wash top of engine. Degrease and rinse with water hose carefully. Most pressure washers are 3000 lbs and not that easy to aim.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gunk engine degreaser

no need for a pressure washer

apply the gunk, let sit, scrap if heavy build-up otherwise hose off with a garden hose.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Pressure washer is fine. Just do it with a cold engine. When you do it with a hot engine, it makes lots of steam that gets sucked into electrical connectors as they are cooled by water.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I have always pressure washed engines. Rarely just a hose. I've used quite a few different cleaners. Currently my favorites are simple green and super clean.
At work I use the fancy heated one. With that one I'll turn the pressure down while around electrical connectors.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm long time idi owner and pressure washed it many times however I'm new to the powerstrokes. A lot more electrical stuff on the powerstrokes and I didn't want to damage anything. Agree on the super clean & simple green good stuff.. This truck was used as a plow truck since new. Last two evenings I removed an unbelievable amount of wiring associated with the plow, salt spreader, and aux lighting. Glad to hear I can power wash!

Fision

Full Access Member
Reaction score
“Know thy engine bay!”
As you already know, pressure washing an engine can be done, but there are potential problems.
BEFORE firing up the Pwasher, identify possible problem areas to avoid. If necessary cover them with heavy plastic and duct tape; this will only protect from overspray as the Pwasher can turn plastic to spaghetti. The plastic also serves as a visual reminder “don’t spray here”.
Electrical connectors- already mentioned.
Water in the intake- not likely unless parts are removed; but how many Trucks have you seen with the Cold air snorkel removed?
Heat exchanger fins- a pressure washer will fold a LOT of these over in a fraction of a second, blocking air flow/killing the effectiveness of the radiator, CAC, tranny cooler, etc. Granted, this is more of a front end/ grill cleaning issue; but after blowing greasy crap all over with a pressure washer, what will we use to rinse off the outside of our vehicle??

And I definitely agree with the warm (not hot) engine (if oiliness is the problem). Take a trip, let it sit 15-30 minutes with the hood closed. Spray away. The heat really softens the thick junk.

Last edited:

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
In my garbage truck fleet we did our best to pressure wash 2 engines a night. We did our best to train the washers to avoid electrical items but they weren’t mechanics. About one or two times a month we had to dry something out. I personally blast away, just avoid connectors and modules. The benefits outweigh the risks.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Anybody use oven cleaner to remove thick crusted grease on an engine? Could have sworn years ago I heard about using that. My dually I just used Purple Power or Simple Green let it sit and light pressure wash but that engine was cleaned before I bought the truck. My current one will most likely lose a hundred pounds or so after I clean it.

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used oven cleaner. It Will take a lot off. Keep in mind it can do damage. It can eat into aluminum and remove paint, or at least change the color of it. I once turned gm blue to pink!