Powerstroke's and WMO?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is the IDI forum, but I also know some of you have experience with both and the WMO stuff is far more prevalent here.

I have a friend with access to lots of hydraulic oil, pretty clean to start with and he's filtering to 2 microns (probably 4 absolute), and wants to run it in his 2000 7.3 Powerstroke.

Anybody have any thoughts or experience with WMO/ATF blends in Powerstrokes?

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
I have been doing it for a few months now, like 50-50 mix of #2 and WMO. I have yet to have a problem. These trucks seem to love burning this stuff! Just don't get carried away with the mix and all will be well.;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, Nick Scarpa (Double-S-Diesel) is running WVO and WMO blends in his Super Duty, apparently with no ill effects. The PSD has an advantage over the IDI in two ways
1) The design of the heads and the HEUI system assure that that alternative fuel will be very hot before it hits the cylinder and pistons or even the injection nozzle, so it can then be of a viscoscity more like D2, and can therefore be atomized and burnt properly
2) No fine rotary injection pump to foul up as each HEUI pumps its own fuel
The disadvantages
1) Smaller DI nozzle openings more vulnerable to plugging(possibly?)
2) Computers might get upset with you(probably not too likely)

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
You shouldn't' have a problem with the WMO clogging your injectors as your PSD has a filter that filters fine enough not to let that happen. And the comp won't care what you are burning.;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only cons I could think of Greenbeast, good to know it isn't a worry. I was talking with a friend of mine about this issue and we've sort of concluded that the 7.3 PSD is one of the few motors truly well suited to burning any type of straight oil.

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
I only have experience with used motor oil, not hydraulic or trans fluid. I would think it would have the same effect but i personally have never tried it. Only real con i have found so far is the lift pump on the OBS might fail after a while, that is why you need a pressure gauge.;Sweet

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
You will kill your injectors, I promise have seen it too many times, just give it a little time.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PSD's will burn WMO, all you need to insure is proper fuel (WMO) filtration.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My uncle was running b15 biodiesel in his 2000 psd for about a month and his truck died. Took it in and the injectors and the pump were shot. His mechanic told him not to put anything but d2 in it and that he needed to run additive whenever running ulsd.

Kinda makes me scared to run it. I figure in the idi pump and injectors are about $600 and I can do it myself so if I had to do that once a year it would still be cost effective. On the PSD pump and injectors are about $2500 so that is a little less cost effective.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Well, Nick Scarpa (Double-S-Diesel) is running WVO and WMO blends in his Super Duty, apparently with no ill effects. The PSD has an advantage over the IDI in two ways
1) The design of the heads and the HEUI system assure that that alternative fuel will be very hot before it hits the cylinder and pistons or even the injection nozzle, so it can then be of a viscoscity more like D2, and can therefore be atomized and burnt properly
2) No fine rotary injection pump to foul up as each HEUI pumps its own fuel
The disadvantages
1) Smaller DI nozzle openings more vulnerable to plugging(possibly?)
2) Computers might get upset with you(probably not too likely)
How is it heated? You still need to preheat it right?

My uncle was running b15 biodiesel in his 2000 psd for about a month and his truck died. Took it in and the injectors and the pump were shot. His mechanic told him not to put anything but d2 in it and that he needed to run additive whenever running ulsd.

Kinda makes me scared to run it. I figure in the idi pump and injectors are about $600 and I can do it myself so if I had to do that once a year it would still be cost effective. On the PSD pump and injectors are about $2500 so that is a little less cost effective.
Was he making his own? or was it bought?

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score

There is no fuel pump on a PSD if that is what you are talking about, a lift pump, yes. B15 is commercially sold so if it would ruin injectors there would be a lot of people with injectors going bad and they would have to stop selling BIO. :yell:

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
You will kill your injectors, I promise have seen it too many times, just give it a little time.

I gave it over 2 years to kill the injectors or pump in my IDI, yet still they are working fine. Although i did put new injectors and pump in before i started to run WVO, so they are fairly new still. If my injectors or pump were to fail now i would still be ahead in the amount of fuel cost i have saved!!!:rolleyes:

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
IDI is fine I do it in my IDI's. A powerstroke no way a HUEI injector will not take it. We are kicking back all warranty claims now for using WMO in any HUEI injector. T444E, DT466, and DT530 you use it you pay when it breaks period. A HUEI injector is so depenant on clean oil and fuel of the correct viscosity. And by the formula of hours and gals of fuel used no one was changing there oil nearly enough. If you went by the formula most people would be changing oil every couple weeks or so. This was why the HUEI is no more and common rail systems have taken over. In a IDI go for it. In a PSD HUEI motor you are asking for it.

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
IDI is fine I do it in my IDI's. A powerstroke no way a HUEI injector will not take it. We are kicking back all warranty claims now for using WMO in any HUEI injector. T444E, DT466, and DT530 you use it you pay when it breaks period. A HUEI injector is so depenant on clean oil and fuel of the correct viscosity. And by the formula of hours and gals of fuel used no one was changing there oil nearly enough. If you went by the formula most people would be changing oil every couple weeks or so. This was why the HUEI is no more and common rail systems have taken over. In a IDI go for it. In a PSD HUEI motor you are asking for it.

Ok than i guess I'm "asking for it" along with people who have been running it for a lot longer than me with no issues. You have to remember you work around broken trucks, that is why people bring them in, but there are ALOT of people out there that run the stuff that have no problems. These are the people who filter it correctly and don't go over a set % of mix. I personally will continue to use WMO in my PSD. I have injector parts on the bench if needed, but i am going to guess they will just sit there while i enjoy cheaper-than-most transportation. ;Really

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I get the clean engine oil being very important for the high pressure hydraulic circuit, but I'm lost on the fuel viscosity part. Please explain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VWAudiFord

Members online