Powermaster 9050 or DB SND0027

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that is one way to get things started!

sorry i am note sure between the 2, but it has saved me carrying a spare.

Well, I was in a hurry...[emoji16]

What saved you from carrying a spare? Or you carry a spare and the spare has saved you?

So a little more backstory. The truck has intermittently been cranking slower. Now it’s cranking very slow routinely to the point of needing the GP’s when it’s warm. I checked the battery voltage with the GP load on it. It showed almost 10.9 V which I believe I’ve read here is reasonable. The starter on it is a Napa reman I installed at the KY rally because...well... it wasn’t wanting to roll it over... at all some times.

The cables were all new when truck was commissioned as were the batteries so 3 years old right now. Not a ton of miles (~10k total). She sets the better part of 4 months out of the year.

All the current data is leading me to suspect my NAPA starter. Both of the above are recommended. The DB is about half the price. Trying to gauge if it is half the starter.

I don’t enjoy changing starters in the gravel at the campground but, I’ve done it before. I don’t know if my reman has a warranty or not. If it does I might exchange it to carry a spare but I’m trying to cut back on the tonnage of spare parts just limiting to things I can’t get reasonably easy at a parts store.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I’m in the same situation with diminishing cranking rpm but good cables and batteries.
My experience with DB is that the starter has a low price, great, performance but a short life. After about a year a bearing failed.
At the time I had a local rebuilder I trusted and took fleet work to. He rebuilt it and it lasted another year. He indicated DB is a cheap Chinese knockoff of Nippondenso.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I believe Powermaster uses genuine ND components. It is based on quality.
The original Mitsubishi is a great starter. At one time new ones were available for about the price of 2 remans.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never investigated this however we have an IH commercial truck parts store here local and I've often wondered about interchangeability. You would think if they offered a starter for these old engines that works with Ford trans, their parts would be stout...... Might be a direction to consider???

pafixitman

Reaction score
Brian swears by PM. I have a DB because honestly for the use my truck sees (or has not seen) I would (trust me, I could and can) not justify the additional hundred. I got the DB off Amazon, no core, free two day delivery. Then I realized my old starter was just held in by a few threads of one bolt. Someone was kind enough to drive up with a stud so I could eliminate the top bolt.

I toyed with the idea of talking to P&H Auto Electric .
7990-92 E Baltimore St
Baltimore,MD 21224

http://www.phautoelectric.com/ph1_002.htm

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry im late to the party.
I cant speak on DB's
but I can tell you that ive been running powermasters for over 20 years.
11:1 Pontiacs with headers huggin these badboys, they don't heat soak.
up to 13.5:1 Pontiacs chevys and fords in boats, constantly getting wet.
In these IDI's ive been running for 4 years, and she still sounds like new:cheers:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry im late to the party.
I cant speak on DB's
but I can tell you that ive been running powermasters for over 20 years.
11:1 Pontiacs with headers huggin these badboys, they don't heat soak.
up to 13.5:1 Pontiacs chevys and fords in boats, constantly getting wet.
In these IDI's ive been running for 4 years, and she still sounds like new:cheers:
I know you’ve told me in the past you swore by them. It’s only money right?

[emoji15]