Power steering pump replacement

libsys

Reaction score
I need to replace my power steering pump and hoses. It's a 93 with the serp belt setup. Do I need to remove the bracket that holds the AC compressor and PS pump? It doesn't look like there's enough room between the pump pully and radiator shroud to get a puller on it. Also, who makes a good pump?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Can you remove the bolts that hold the fan shroud to the radiator, slide the shroud to the side, and then use the puller? If you can, that would save you some work.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 93 I was able to get the pulley puller on the pump with it still mounted. Once the pulley was removed, remove the mounting bolts and the pump slides out from the backside of the bracket.

FYI, DON'T use a hammer to install the pulley on the new pump, you will damage it. The pulley puller kit should have an installation tool.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
FYI, DON'T use a hammer to install the pulley on the new pump, you will damage it. The pulley puller kit should have an installation tool.

A lady parked next to me right now in an old 88 Chevy class c motorhome, she paid a shop to do her Saginaw power steering pump (same style my 85 E350 has) and yeah, they took hammer to the pulley to put it on. Her power steering was gone within 24 miles because the pump destroyed itself and lost all fluid. She had to pay a second shop to do it again the right way. I'm guessing the first shop used a jaw puller to take off the pulley instead of the proper tool which is why they used a hammer to put it back on.

libsys

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I dug out my pulley puller today, and it doesn't quite fit in there. But it looks like it might if I loosen the fan shroud and move it a bit, so I'll try that first. It's still going to be awkward getting it in there. My puller kit has the installation studs, so there'll be no hammering. :idiot:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I dug out my pulley puller today, and it doesn't quite fit in there. But it looks like it might if I loosen the fan shroud and move it a bit, so I'll try that first. It's still going to be awkward getting it in there. My puller kit has the installation studs, so there'll be no hammering. :idiot:

I had to pull the bracket's swivel bolt and remove the bracket to get my RV's Saginaw pump out because the pulley can't be reached, unless you remove the radiator first. It was huge pain in the butt, but I managed it. I had to use a bungee cord to suspend it to help line it up to put the swivel bolt back in.