Power steering gearbox

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
IME, usually need heat and impact together with the puller... or you risk snapping the puller.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IME, usually need heat and impact together with the puller... or you risk snapping the puller.
I have found this to be the case with the cheaper ones, the snap on puller though you can usually just impact the puller and let it do it’s thing.

MJGenay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I went through one of O'reillys pullers getting my pitman arm off, second, with a lot of heat, was the charm. I don't have actual torches just one of those copper pipe soldering ones... must've stood there for a half an hour or more applying heat all around before it finally popped.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Pitman arms rarely come off using only the puller, doesnt matter what brand it is. If they come off easy, they were too loose.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
This fits the pitman arms for both my 87 F250 and 85 E350. Worked like a charm on both. It says its for 2005+ Ford but eh?

The gearbox I got for my E350 from Autozone has been good, not sloppy. Lifetime warranty too. It's same one that the pickups (F-series and Rangers) use, just needs a different pitman arm for each application.

Olds64

Reaction score
MAW pickup one of those Lisle Pitman arm pullers. Generally they aren't too expensive and it's always good to have tools in the shop.

Rondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cubey that is the puller I have. I will also heat it up with a MAP torch. I also bought my replacement autozone. It is really tight. I can’t rotate the input shaft by hand. Can I expect to lose a lot of oil when I disconnect the lines?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Cubey that is the puller I have. I will also heat it up with a MAP torch. I also bought my replacement autozone. It is really tight. I can’t rotate the input shaft by hand. Can I expect to lose a lot of oil when I disconnect the lines?

Maybe I was just lucky, I used no heat at all on either, just the 120V electric HFT impact. Did the E350's in an AutoZone parking lot, running my Onan genset for the impact.

Have a drain pan ready to catch the oil. I lost a fair bit/all both times, as I recall, because the gearbox is lower than the reservoir.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed mine out, now my high pressure power steering line rotates around in the pump after being tightness up with the nylon oring. Are they suppose to rotate easily or snug up?

Olds64

Reaction score
Does fluid leak from the fitting? I figured the hose shouldn't move when the fitting is tightened down, but apparently Ford used some oddball fittings in the past.

Rondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed mine out yesterday. Not so bad. Now the truck won’t start. Cranks fine and I have fuel coming out the Schrader valve.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed mine out yesterday. Not so bad. Now the truck won’t start. Cranks fine and I have fuel coming out the Schrader valve.
In all your under the hood stuff did you bump the wire off the shut off solenoid on the IP?

Rondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also when I first cranked it started and ran for about 5 seconds then died. Now won’t start, just cranks.