1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power seem down? Check accelerator cable.

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by MtnHaul, Nov 27, 2020.

1. MtnHaul

MtnHaul Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well I hate to admit any degree of stupidity but this time my 1/4 Polish ancestry got the better of mecookoo:frustrate:idiot:. Over the last year my truck just didn't seem to have the same pep and I drive the same roads and hills so any gain or loss is usually noticeable. Now I did have two fairly major surgeries over the last 15 months so a lot of that time the truck sat idle. Anyways, a couple weeks ago I was driving home and suddenly my foot went to the floor and lost almost all power, and of course this happened on a steep hill in an area with no cell phone coverage. A quick examination showed the accelerator cable housing had separated from the flange that bolts to the firewall. Luckily a tow truck driver I knew just happened to drive by and towed me home. Installed a new cable the next day and I couldn't believe the difference. I can only guess that my POS old cable wasn't giving me the full range and it happened slowly enough that I didn't notice it happening. My truck is the only IDI I've ever driven so I have nothing to compare it to, and I can't help but wonder if some of the folks who complain about low power don't just have some stupid simple issues like I did. Happy holidays:cheers:

2. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

They can and do stretch. I've had two clutch cables and a throttle cable stretch and break while riding ATVs and dirt bikes. Different applications, but the principle is still the same.

3. YJMike92

YJMike92 Full Access Member

Sometimes admitting our own stupidity helps someone else. Thanks.

Selahdoor likes this.
  4. Selahdoor

Selahdoor How can I help you, or make you laugh, today? Supporting Member

If all it takes to help someone is to admit our stupidity...

BOY! Am I here to help!!!

:D

YJMike92, Ky85 and MtnHaul like this.
  5. Ky85

Ky85 Full Access Member

Felt like that after swapping the air filter