Power Rear Window from a Roll Along

psychohawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Was at the junkyard today--looking for a tail gate, a seemingly impossible quest--and I came across a dually crew cab that I noticed had a power rear window; the truck had a "Roll Along" package, complete with badges.

As I looked at the truck I noticed a solid rear window and upon closer inspection, noticed it was a power rear window that moved up/down, i.e., vertically, as in the whole window similar to a late model Toyota.

The whole window assembly is there, including motor and seals, completely unmolested, and am considering going back pulling it and retrofitting into my truck. Oh, the truck was a '87 ... will I have fit problems?

Thanks,
Carl

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I think it will be a big pain to do, but it will be well worth it.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think several years ago I seen a kit on ebay for this for sale but couldn't find it later when I tried to find it. Not sure if they can still be had but I would love one for mine. I have the solid and have a horizontal slider in a parts truck I thought about putting in but I would love to have a power one.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't want it , but have the time to pull everything.. I would be SERIOUSLY interested in buying it. I would even drive my ass down there to pick it up.

Seriously, how much ya want?

psychohawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ homeless duck, very funny.

Okay, okay ... I'll go tomorrow and yank it ... depending how easy it comes out will dictate whether I opt to sell it or install it.

Will keep you posted--and hopefully--provide pics sometime tomorrow.

Carl

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I'm lookin forward to the pics, never seen one of these in person...always been the power sliding rear windows....

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ homeless duck, very funny.

Okay, okay ... I'll go tomorrow and yank it ... depending how easy it comes out will dictate whether I opt to sell it or install it.

Will keep you posted--and hopefully--provide pics sometime tomorrow.

Carl

I'm serious. I would LOVE to have an electric rear window.

It's an 11 hour drive... A little longer than I was hoping, but I want that setup.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always wondered about a bronco rear window if it could be adapted. I haven't looked real close because I don't own a bronco.

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So thats what i've got! I've got that exact same window setup in our Crew Cab! I've been trying to find out what it is for ever. It is leaking from the seals and i need to get new ones for it.

psychohawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It Lives!

It's out ... was much easier than I anticipated ... rear window is held in only by the window seal ... not tied to the truck in any way other than interior trim ... in case you're interested, the junkyard charged me $75 ... was hoping to get away with just a window but they said "frame too".

It's not as complete as I thought ... the gear mechanism to move the window up/down is there and attached, but the actual 12v motor and gear (that inserts into the gear, if that makes since) is missing. I doubt this is much of a big deal and I have a feeling a little research will yield the parts I need.

It's actually a pretty simple design ... looking from the outside of your truck, at the rear window, you'll notice the window is angled about 110 degrees, top half being more recessed than the bottom half. The builder built a channel that allows the window to travel up/down in a vertical plane, 90 degrees, and used a "spacer" on the bottom half of the window that's about 1" deep. Oh, in case you're wondering, it's patented too, patent number stamped on the part.

As for whether I'm going to keep it, I can't decide; while it's relatively rare, that brings its own set of complications. It needs a good cleaning, the rear window seal is easy to source (it's stock), some of the felt pieces could use a sprucin' up, plastic repair two places that are damaged, paint the spacer, source the motor and gear and uh, yeah, install. Just not sure I feel like doing all this ... I'll take a few days to decide.

Carl

psychohawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So thats what i've got! I've got that exact same window setup in our Crew Cab! I've been trying to find out what it is for ever. It is leaking from the seals and i need to get new ones for it.

Does it work? Mind posting a pic of the switch mechanism and motor?

Thanks,
Carl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86